May 9, 2016

Fry Club 2-0 Nailsea United

For their last away match of the season United travelled to Keynsham based Fry Club on a warm afternoon. The home side were just behind Nailsea in the league for what was their last fixture of the season.

Nailsea opened well with Adam Bell crossing the ball beyond the far post to find Alex Goodwin but his shot was covered by the keeper. The home side took the lead on 12 minutes when Nailsea failed to clear their lines giving the Fry striker just the opportunity he was looking for which he took well guiding the ball wide of Rob Brown in the United goal.

On 25 minutes James Springett hit a half volley over the bar following enterprising approach play. With 34 minutes gone on the clock Fry Club doubled their lead when poor marking and indecision in the United defence gave them a scoring opportunity which they took. United were far from out of the game with James Taylor having his header from an Alex Goodwin corner knocked away from the goal line with the resultant rebound going over the bar.

Half Time. Fry Club 2 Nailsea United 0

It was self inflicted goals that saw United behind at half time which was their main undoing during the early part of the season before they seemed to eradicate the problem to go on their long unbeaten run.

One felt that if Nailsea could get onto the score sheet the match could be rescued. Adam Bell had the first opportunity with a free kick on 51 minutes which was deflected for a corner which came to nothing. United continued to take the game to the home side to be presented with a penalty when George King was brought down by the keeper on 65 minutes. The resultant kick was taken by Adam Bell but although it was well struck it was at a good height for the keeper who dived to his left to beat the ball away. Minutes later Bell very nearly atoned for his miss when his shot rebounded from the cross bar.

With 20 minutes remaining Sam Olsen replaced Sol Wanjou Smith as United looked for a way back into the game. United were now having most of the possession which saw good approach play set George King away on the left before sending an inviting ball across the face of the goal with no United player able to get a touch.

Seven minutes before the scheduled end of the game an injured James Springett was replaced by Jimmy Wring in midfield. Although United threw everything at Fry Club it was not going to be their day with the final attack seeing James Taylor heading over an Adam Bell corner on 90 minutes.

Final Score. Fry Club 0 Nailsea United 2

So the unbeaten run comes to an end with a defeat by a useful Fry Club team who leapfrog United in the league. Although Nailsea dominated the second half the two first half errors which were capitalised on was the difference between the sides.

United now finish the season with two home games against teams in the basement part of the league. On Thursday May 12th they entertain old foes Clutton. Kick Off 6.45pm before ending the season with the visit of Chilcompton Sports on Saturday May 14th. Kick Off 3.00pm