September 16, 2017

Fry Club 4 Nailsea United 2


It was the return fixture on Saturday when United travelled to Keynsham to play Fry Club. Having lost the home match by the single goal Nailsea were looking to redress the balance.

However, it took only three for the home side to take the lead with a cross field ball from right to left which was controlled with the Fry player having the time to curl the ball into the United net. On five minutes a well struck free kick by Mark Iles was beaten away by the Fry keeper.

One minute later a deep cross from the Fry left went beyond keeper Jack Smith leaving an easy header to double the home side’s advantage. United tried to get their game together with Adam Marsden heading the ball onto Stuart Lee but the striker was crowded out.

Worse was to follow for Nailsea with only ten minutes played they found themselves three goals down. Once again it was a cross just beyond the far post where an unmarked Fry player had the simplest of jobs to find the back of the net.

Nailsea began to have more of the ball to reduce the arrears in the 22nd minute. A Mark Iles corner from the left was allowed to go into the middle of the goal where it Stuart Lee made contact in the midst of a number of players to open the scoring for his side. Fry Club tried to regain the imitative bringing a good save from Jack Smith who did well to push a shot around the post.

In the five minutes before half time United made two chances both falling to Kwok Chi Kin, the first followed a knockdown by Stuart Lee which went wide the second followed an Adam Marsden pass which was saved at the second attempt by the home keeper. This pressure eventually paid off with Adam Marsden firing the ball through the keeper’s legs to bring the deficit to one goal.

Half Time. Fry Club 3 Nailsea United 2

After the horrendous first ten minutes United were now right back in the game and showing good spirit. I am sure that the Nailsea management team’s final words before they left the dressing room was to ensure they kept things tight for the first ten minutes of the second half.

Nailsea started the second half as they finished the forcing the Fry keeper to scramble away a goal bound shot in the first minute after the resumption. Then four minutes later they gave the initiative back  to the home side when they conceded a fourth goal following a break down the left, a cross into the middle which was not dealt with allowing the ball to be stabbed into the United net.

United retried to get back into the game with Adam Marsden forcing the keeper to concede a corner following a 40 yard pass from Liam Lester to Ben Pratt who teed up Marsden for his shot. With 20 minutes remaining Nailsea made a double change with Mark Iles and Tom Weaver being replaced by Joe Sharps and Brad Cogan.

Although the play was now even neither side could create a goal chance with the defences dominating. On 90 minutes Fry Club were awarded a penalty which was well saved by Jack Smith diving to his right.

Final Score. Fry Club 4  Nailsea United 2

United are beginning to return to the habit which started last season of conceding early goals either at the start of the game or on the resumption of the second half. This means that they are chasing the game from the outset. I am sure this is something that the management will address.

The next match for the First Team is on Tuesday September 26th when they visit Odd Down Reserves. Kick Off 7.45pm.

In other result today  there were wins for the Reserves, “B” and “C” sides with the “A” side losing.