November 11, 2017

Hengrove Athletic Reserves 1 Nailsea United 2

For the third week running Nailsea were away from home, this time the short journey to South Bristol to play Hengrove Athletic Reserves in the third round of the Somerset Senior Cup.

 Hengrove had the early pressure but the United defence were not unduly troubled before they took the lead on ten minutes. A quality cross from the left by Ben Pratt was controlled by Nathan Shipway before he found the back of the net via the inside of the right upright to give his side the lead.

United were forced to make an early change when Will Hodges could not continue was replaced by Ryan Ford on the right flank after just 20 minutes. Adam Marsden then saw his well struck free kick saved by the keeper. On 25 minutes a long kick by debutant keeper Owen Adamson fell to Adam Marsden who created space before calmly placing the ball to the side of the keeper for a well taken goal.

The home side were restricted to sporadic attacks which did not trouble the United defence. Looking to increase their two goal advantage United pressed forward with Nathan Shipway this time the provider picking out Adam Marsden with a cross from the right which the striker could keep on target on the half an hour mark. Minutes later Ryan Ford picked out the same player but again the chance was not taken.

Nailsea switched off with two minutes to go before half time allowing the home side a way back into the game which they duly took to bring the deficit to one goal.

Half Time. Hengrove Athletic Reserves 1  Nailsea United 2

It was probably the home side that went into the break in a more confident mood as they could easily have been two or three goals in arrears only to be right back in contention with the late goal.

However, United made sure that they saw out the expected Hengrove onslaught at the start of the second half. Owen Adamson gathered well from a well struck shot as the home side pressed. United rode their luck when a free kick cannoned off of their bar to safety on 62 minutes.

On 70 minutes Nailsea made their second change with Joe Sharps being replaced by Ricky Jeffries. The final 20 minutes were mainly fought in the mid field with no side having an advantage. With five minutes remaining Nathan Shipway was replaced by Jamie Butt to add fresh legs for the visitors. Nailsea were grateful to Owen Adamson in the 86th minute when he bravely dived at the feet of the marauding Hengrove attacker as he was about to shoot. With two minutes remaining Adam Marsden was found on the left flank before cutting in to bring a good save from the home keeper.

The remaining minutes caused no problems to Nailsea although they were pleased to hear the referee’s final whistle to ensure that they were through to the quarter finals of the cup.

Final Score.

Hengrove Athletic Reserves 1  Nailsea United 2

This was a fighting display by a very young Nailsea side that beat a team albeit from one division below them who never gave up. Owen Adamson could be pleased with his first game in the senior side.

Next week United are at home at last to reigning champions Watchet Town, Kick Off 2.30pm.