October 14, 2017

Nailsea United 0 Wrington Redhill 1



On a balmy Saturday afternoon, Nailsea entertained Wrington Redhill in a mid table clash. The opening 30 minutes so no goalmouth action and it appeared at this early stage that one goal could decide the result. On 30 minutes a quick Nailsea break saw Luke Penberthy sent away on the right where his cross to the far post found Stuart Lee but his shot was charged down.

Five minutes later a good run down the left by Joe Sharps which ended with a cross to the near post but Sam Olsen was unable to find the target from an acute angle. Wrington then replied with a move down the right which saw a dangerous ball cross the Nailsea goal area but there was no visiting player on hand to find the finishing touch. The final moments of a quiet first half saw Stuart Lee have a half chance from a free kick but his header was not on target.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0  Wrington Redhill 0

The second half started at a quicker tempo then the first 45 minutes but again the match was devoid of early goal mouth action. With ten minutes gone Jack Smith was forced into making a smart save diving to his right. Three minutes later the visitors took the lead when they weaved their way through the Nailsea defence to score a well taken goal.

On 65 minutes a corner by James Springett was met by Ryan Lester but the visiting keeper gathered comfortably. United then made the first change with Mark Iles being replaced by Adam Marsden in the 66th minute. Five minutes later Nailsea were forced to reshuffle when the injured Rob Brown made way for Lee Cook in defence.

The final roll of the dice saw Stuart Lee being replaced by Jamie Roberts as United sought the equaliser. Adam Marsden had a snap shot which was off target with five minutes remaining. Then, with three minutes to go a good run down the right by Luke Penberthy saw him pick out Jamie Roberts but the youngster headed the ball straight at the grateful Wrington keeper. With the referee looking at his watch Jamie Roberts had a much more difficult chance from a corner by James Springett but could not guide the ball on target.

Final Score. Nailsea United 0   Wrington Redhill 1


A disappointing result for the home side who will learn that in such a close match every chance must be taken.

Next Saturday United travel to play Bridgwater Town Reserves. Kick Off 3.00pm.