August 12, 2017

Nailsea United 1 Chilcompton Sports 0


On the first day of the 2017/18 season Nailsea entertained Chilcompton Sports on a dry but blustery day. The visitors finished last season strongly and would no doubt test the home side who were without several members of the first team squad.

It was the visitors who had the first sight on goal on six minutes but the shot went wide of the United goal. It was Chilcompton who had the better of the opening minutes with United unable to get out of first gear.

Having weathered the storm, Nailsea had to wait until 20 minutes had elapsed before threatening the visitor’s goal. A well taken free kick from the left by Mark Iles just needed a touch but his colleagues were unable to make contact.

It must be said that the opening goal came against the run of play ten minutes before half time as Rob Attwood picked out Tom Weaver who kept his composure to place the ball over the advancing keeper to see it nestle in the back of the net to give Nailsea the lead.

Chilcompton caught the home defence square in the 40th minute but the visiting attacker squandered a great chance by hitting the ball high over the bar.

Half Time.  Nailsea United 1  Chilcompton Sports 0

Chilcompton could perhaps feel aggrieved going into break in arrears as they were the  better side in the opening 45 minutes. Although United improved as the half wore on they would have to continue in the same way against a neat and tidy visiting team.

Kicking into the wind at the start of the second half the home side conjured up a chance on 61 minutes. Ben Pratt on the left found Jamie Butt with is back to goal, try as he did he could not make space for a shot on goal in a good position. On 65 minutes Manager Rob Prior made a double substitution with Scott Fisher being replaced by Jamie Whitfied and Jamie Butt giving way to Brad Cogan.

Two minutes later United were indebted to Mike Price who made a great tackle to rob the Chilcompton player as he advanced on goal with only the keeper to beat. It was now more end to end with Rob Attwood sending Jack Last away on the right but his powerfully hit shot went wide of the far post. The last ten minutes saw the Nailsea defence at full stretch as Chilcompton strived for the equaliser. With eight minutes of normal time to go Rob Attwood who was constantly probing the Chilcompton defence crossed the ball into the danger area but Brad Cogan could not find that important touch.

With five minutes remaining the injured Mark lles was replaced by Ryan Lester. Although the visitors upped their game they found the Nailsea defence marshalled by Stuart Lee and Mike Price in a resolute mood as they hung on to secure three points.

Full Time. Nailsea United 1  Chilcompton Sports 0

It is always good to start the new season with a win but in truth Chilcompton were the better side over the 90 minutes but credit to the home side they kept them out, you cannot ask more than that.

Games come thick and fast at The Grove with the first team in action as follows:-

Tuesday August 15th. Home to Stockwood Green. Kick Off 6.30pm

Saturday August 19th. Home to Bridgwater Town Reserves. Kick Off 3.00pm

Tuesday August 22nd. Home to Fry Club. Kick Off. 6.30pm

In other results today The Reserves were beaten by Radstock Town Reserves by Five goals to two.