September 10, 2017

Nailsea United 2 Clevedon United 4


On Saturday high riding Clevedon United were the visitors to The Grove. Both sides fielded very young sides as they tried to continue their good starts to the season.

The opening minutes of the game was played at a high tempo as you would expect from the young players on view. Neither goal was troubled until the 20th minute when a Clevedon shot from the edge of the penalty area took a wicked deflection to find the back of the Nailsea net giving keeper Jack Smith no chance.

On 23 minutes a marauding run down the right by Ross Probert saw him whip a cross in that just evaded his colleagues. With a one goal advantage the Clevedon side were finding their players better dominating the midfield. United gradually found their rhythm  with a good move on the half hour mark started by Kwok Chi Kin on the left who found Tom Weaver who moved the ball to Adam Marsden in space but his shot was saved by the visiting keeper.

Five minutes later Nailsea created another half chance when neat approach play found Kwok Chi Kin beyond the far post but although he cut back inside he could not take advantage. The game was now much more even with five minutes of the first half remaining Joe Sharps drilled a 25 yard pass to Ross Probert on the right who sent in a searching pass across the danger area  which needed only a touch to bring a goal.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0  Clevedon United 1

This was a fine half of football with both sides playing well with Clevedon showing why they are positioned well in the league with the home side putting together some promising moves.

The second half started with Nailsea in a positive mood looking for the equaliser. Adam Marsden fired a shot just wide on 47 minutes. Immediately Clevedon counter attacked putting together a pattern of passes which allowed them to double their lead with a shot from close range.

With 30 minutes remaining Nailsea made the first of their changes with Mark Iles replacing Tom Weaver. United now had their best spell of the match pushing the Clevedon defence back. A good passing movement involving five players saw Stuart Lee head just wide.

A further Nailsea change took place on 65 minutes with Ross Probert giving way to Jack Last playing wide on the right. Nailsea were now the better side with another fine move culminating with Sam Olsen picking out Stuart Lee but the cross was just too high for good contact to be made.

Finally the Nailsea pressure brought results with Liam Lester playing the ball out of defence where it was played into the path of Stuart Lee who had evaded the Clevedon offside trap. There was still work to be done but Lee rounded the keeper to slot the ball into the empty net to bring the deficit to one goal.

It felt like the next goal would be decisive as United pressed forward and Clevedon held firm at the back. However, on 76 minutes a Clevedon corner from the right was not dealt with by the home defence allowing the ball to be placed in the back of the Nailsea net from close range. This gave Clevedon breathing space again.

Nailsea made their final change with Liam Lester being replaced by Scott Fisher at the heart of the back line. With five minutes remaining Clevedon were given the opportunity to make the game safe when Nailsea keeper Jack Smith was adjudged to have fouled the Clevedon attacker with the referee awarding a penalty which was despatched.

Nailsea to their credit still took the game to the visitors with Adam Marsden having a shot saved. Deep into added time Nailsea gave the score line some credibility with a fine goal when Kwok Chi Kin sent in a deep cross from the left to beyond the far post where Jack Last met the ball on the half volley to beat the keeper with a low shot.

Final Score. Nailsea United 2  Clevedon United 4

This was an entertaining game for the good sized crowd with Clevedon showing why they may be in search of honours at the end of the season. The home side were their match for most of the game with debutant Kwok Chi Kin showing glimpses of his skills which will bring more results as he get to know his team mates better.

Nailsea travel to Wells City Reserves on Tuesday night Kick Off 7.30pm. They are then away to Fry Club on Saturday September 16th. Kick Off 3.00pm.

The next game at The Grove see the high scoring Reserve side play Draycott. Kick Off 3.00pm. Also at home are the “A” side and “C” side who play Sporting Weston and Wedmore respectively. Both matches have a 3.00 Kick Off.

In other results on Saturday The Reserves had a convincing 7-1 victory at Tunley in the cup with the “B” side beating Worle Rangers 3-1. The young “B” side lost 3-0 to Banwell.