August 19, 2017

Nailsea United 3 Bridgwater Town Reserves 1

It was a blustery afternoon at The Grove as Nailsea played hosts to Bridgwater Town Reserves. United have won their opening two games by a single goal and were looking to keep the run going on Saturday.

On two minutes a low free kick from Mark Iles was fumbled by the keeper but cleared to safety. It was obvious from the outset that the side which could manage the conditions best would have a distinct advantage. With 30 minutes gone a long kick from defence was just too strong for Tom Weaver as he tried to make a connection. Four minutes later Bridgwater were awarded a free kick just outside the box which was perfectly executed the ball flying into the top corner to give the visitors the lead.

With five minutes to go until the break a long range shot by Jamie Whitfield was easily gathered by the keeper. To be truthful it was an uninspiring half with the wind being the clear winner.

Half time.  Nailsea United 0  Bridgwater Town Res 1

For the second half United were kicking into the wind. During the interval the Nailsea management must have made it clear that the way to play in such conditions is to keep the ball on the ground.

Within two minutes of the restart United scored the equaliser. A move down the left saw Tom Weaver play the ball towards the Bridgwater goal where the ever alert Stu Lee touched the ball over the line for a well taken goal.

Nailsea were now playing confident football with Rob Attwood finding Stu Lee with an accurate cross but the normally sure Lee headed the chance wide. On 60 minutes an Iles corner from the left was not gathered by the visiting keeper giving Liam Lester the opportunity to stab the ball over the line to give his side the lead.

Two minutes later another well taken corner by Mark Iles was met by Stu Lee, again the ball was sent wide. United were now completely on top as they played attractive football with Ben Pratt making a deep cross from the left to Jack Last beyond the far post, his shot was gathered at the second attempt by the keeper.

On 65 minutes another United attack forced the Bridgwater defence to concede a free kick 20 yards from goal. Mark Iles took the kick which was completely missed by the keeper who allowed the ball to dribble over the line. This gave United clear daylight between the two sides with the score moving to three goals to one.

Bridgwater did have a good chance to reduce the arrears on 68 minutes when a long ball undid the Nailsea defence but the visiting attacker could not take advantage. With 15 minutes remaining the home side made the first of their changes with Brad Cogan replacing Tom Weaver to be followed shortly by Adam Marsden being replaced by Jamie Butt and finally Scott Fisher replacing Jack Last.

In the final minute Stu Lee had the opportunity to put the icing on the cake when he outstripped the Bridgwater defence but his resultant shot was too high.

Final Score. Nailsea United 3 Bridgwater Town Reserves 1.

In the end it was comfortable win for Nailsea who have made a perfect start to their league programme. By playing neat football on the ground United were able to use the control skills of Rob Attwood and Mark Iles to dominate the midfield and create chances. The defence were well drilled giving the visitors only a handful of opportunities with the forwards always looking dangerous.

The next match at The Grove is on Tuesday August 22nd when Fry Club are the visitors. Kick Off 6.30pm.

In other matches the Reserves got their season up and running with thrashing of Kewstoke Lions by six goals to nil.

There is no match at The Grove next Saturday August 26th. The following Saturday September 2nd the First team are at home to Castle Cary in the Somerset Senior Cup. Please note Kick Off is at 2.30pm.