December 30, 2017

Shirehampton 0 Nailsea United 1


Following last week’s fine win over Nailsea and Tickenham in the local derby, United travelled to play Shirehampton. Not so long ago these two sides dominated the County League but both are in a rebuilding mode holding mid table positions.


The first strike in anger fell to United after three minutes when Adam Marsden had a shot which was gathered by the keeper. The home side counter attacked bringing a great save from Own Adamson who pushed a stinging drive onto the woodwork before it was cleared to safety.

With 18 minutes on the clock United took the lead. The ball was worked down the left before Ben Pratt sent a deep cross beyond the far post where Ross Probert met the ball perfectly on the volley to beat the keeper just inside the far post. A quality cross and a quality finish.

Shirehampton then had a chance to equalise but their player who was clean through shot wide. The game ebbed and flowed on a clinging surface with Nailsea indebted once again to Adamson as he pushed a goal bound shot over the bar.

Half Time. Shirehampton 0  Nailsea United 1


This was an even half with the well taken goal separating the sides.

The home side started the second period the stronger shooting past the post on 50 minutes. Immediately they then had a free kick which was gathered by Adamson. At the other end Ben Pratt battled well to win the ball before sending another quality cross into the Shirehampton area where Tom Weaver failed to get a connection.

Three minutes later a typical strong run down the right by Luke Penberthy saw him leave his marker treading water before pulling the ball back to Adam Marsden who did everything right only to see the keeper make a fine diving save to keep his side in the game.

On 65 minutes Nailsea made their first change when Will Hodges replaced Tom Weaver. On 70 minutes Ross Probert sent Pemberthy away on the right but once again the home keeper gathered the shot. It was now virtually all out attack by the home side but the United defence are made of stern stuff these days as they repelled each attack.

With 15 minutes remaining Lee Cook who had a good game in the centre of the back four was replaced by Ryan Lester as the Nailsea management ensured that there were fresh legs at the back. Shirehampton although they sent a stream of crosses into the Nailsea goal area never really threatened as Adamson showed very good handling.

Finally with two minutes remaining hard working midfielder James Springett was replaced by James Taylor as United saw out the game to take another well earned three points.

Final Score. Shirehampton 0  Nailsea United 1

Manager Chris Adamson and his management team have used the exuberance of youth coupled with a high degree of skill to mould this United side into a more than an effective unit as they climb the table to seventh position.

Next Saturday, January 6th United are home to Ilminster Town, kick off 2.00pm.