November 26, 2017

Watchet Town 4 Nailsea United 1

For the third time this season United were to play Watchet Town, this time on the West Somerset coast in the League Cup. Having secured a good draw and only narrowly losing in the previous encounters they were looking to go one better. As usual at Watchet at this time of year the wind coming straight from the Bristol Channel would have a say in proceedings.

Nailsea set the early pace with Luke Penberthy marauding down the left in the first minute but his shot was wide. The home side took a little time to get into their stride with the first real attack coming on 12 minutes when a cross from their left was pushed away by Owen Adamson.

The play was end to end with no real goal mouth action with both defences holding strong. This all changed three minutes before the break when there appeared to be no problem for the home side as the ball dropped to Adam Marsden with his back to goal just outside the Watchet penalty area. In one move the young striker turned and shot with the ball deceiving the home keeper to find the back of the net via the crossbar to give Nailsea the lead.

Half Time.  Watchet Town 0  Nailsea United 1

With the wind in the favour of the home side in the second half, United knew that the job was only half done. As is usual in such a score line the next goal is vitally important.

 And so, it turned out, within two minutes of the restart Lee Cook handled the ball in the box with the official pointing at the spot. Although Owen Adamson dived the right way the penalty kick was perfectly placed to give Watchet the momentum they needed.

On 55 minutes poor marking by the United defence saw a Watchet attacker bearing down on goal slipping the ball past Adamson to take the lead.  The unusually quiet Watchet crowd were now making themselves heard as they sensed victory. On 65 minutes Nailsea made their first change with Mark Iles being replaced by Will Hodges.

In the 70th minute Watchet had clear daylight between the two sides when a corner from their right was met with a powerful header which gave Adamson no chance to go three one up. Nailsea made an immediate change with Luke Penberthy being replaced by Nathan Shipway.  It was no great surprise when the home side scored their fourth goal on 75 minutes again following a corner which was not cleared with the ball ending up in the back of the United net.

To their credit the visitors did not throw in the towel but could not get back into the game, the nearest they came was on 88 minutes when Adam Marsden flashed a shot across the Watchet goal from the left.

Final Score. Watchet Town 4 Nailsea United 1

The home side were worthy winners with the game decided within the first five minutes of the second half. Until then Nailsea had more than matched their opponents who do not need any assistance in creating pressure on their home ground.

Next week it is back to the bread and butter of league football when United visit Stockwood Green. Kick Off 2.00pm.

In other results there were defeats for the Reserves and “A” teams but the “B” side cemented their position at the top of the league when they defeated their nearest challengers by two goals to one at The Grove.