May 4, 2016

Yatton Athletic 1-4 Nailsea United

Bank Holiday Monday saw Nailsea travel to near neighbours Yatton Athletic as they strived to add to their impressive unbeaten run of nine games, winning seven and drawing two. As seems to be the norm this season the game was to be played in very blustery conditions, thankfully the earlier rain had disappeared.

United had the wind advantage in the first half which allowed them to attack from the start with Jim Lee setting Sol Wanjou Smith away on the right but his shot was covered by the Yatton keeper However, the hardy Nailsea supporters did not have to wait long to see their side take the lead following a corner from the right taken by Alex Goodwin which fell to Adam Bell beyond the back post who made a good connection firing the ball into the Yatton net on four minutes.

With 20 minutes on the clock United doubled their lead when the ball was worked to Jamie Whitfield who picked out Jim Lee with a perfectly weighted cross allowing the tall striker to guide the ball wide of the home keeper with his head. A well worked move expertly executed. Five minutes later goal scorer Lee was forced to leave the field for hospital when he received a badly gashed leg bravely trying to add to his first goal colliding with the upright. Sam Lamper replaced Lee as the leader of the attack.

Yatton were finding it difficult to create chances due to the wind conditions and the youthful Nailsea back four who grow in stature with every game. With five minutes of the half remaining United again cut through the Yatton defence with Jimmy Wring bringing a good save from the keeper. During the final few minutes a cross field ball found Sol Wanjou Smith who in turn crossed to Adam Bell but his resultant shot sailed over the bar. To bring the half to a close a snap shot by Jimmy Wring was just the wrong side of the post.

Half Time. Yatton Athletic 0 Nailsea United 2

A first half that was dominated by the visitors who coped well with the conditions not over hitting their passes. Sol Wanjou Smith was beginning to give his marker nightmares on the right of the United attack. The question was, would a two goal margin be enough with the home side having the wind in their backs for the second half?

The early part of the second half saw Yatton having more of the ball but they could not force a real opportunity. Any thought of a Yatton resurgence was halted when Nailsea scored their third goal on 55 minutes. Sol Wanjou Smith continued to torment the Yatton defence with his close control weaving across the edge of the penalty box from right to left before being upended just inside the box with the referee pointing straight to the spot. It was a confident Adam Bell who took the kick blasting the ball past the keeper to give Nailsea a three goal cushion.

With 15 minutes remaining Sam Lamper who did well playing at the front of the attack was replaced by Steve Lester. Almost immediately Yatton scored with the ball being bundled into the Nailsea net after rebounding from the upright. Straight away United regained their three goal advantage with an Alex Goodwin free kick being headed back into the middle by Steve Lester despite being surrounded by defenders. His headed pass found Adam Bell who made a brilliant connection on the half volley to almost break the back of the net for a very well deserved hat trick.

United continued to play good football with another move seeing Adam Bell set up Russ Driver but his shot was sent wide. Finally, Adam Bell came very close to adding to his tally of three when once again Alex Goodwin delivered an accurate cross which Bell hit on the volley but the ball just scraped the wrong side of the post.

Final Score. Yatton Athletic 1 Nailsea United 4

So the run goes on, now ten games undefeated taking 26 points from a possible 30 moving them into sixth place in the league with three games to go. This Saturday May 7th United travel to Keynsham based Fry Club before completing their programme with two home games. Thursday May 12th when Clutton are the visitors. Kick Off 6.45 and finally Saturday May 14th when they host Chilcompton Sports. Kick off 3.00pm.

Congratulations to the Reserves for a fine win on Monday, keep up the good work in your remaining home games on Thursday May 5th Kick off 6.30 versus Clevedon United Reserves. Saturday May 7th, Kick off 3.00pm versus Uphill Castle and Tuesday May 10th. Kick off 6.45 when the visitors are Highbridge Town.