August 29, 2016

Nailsea United 0 Wells City Reserves 2

Wells City Reserves were the visitors to The Grove on Bank Holiday Monday which for once was dry and warm. The home side were looking to get back on the goal trail having failed to score in their last two matches.

The opening minutes were without any goalmouth action with the first touch of the ball by any keeper came after seven minutes when Jack Smith was called into action for a routine save. One minute later Nathan Shipway was sent clear but his effort was straight at the keeper. Both sides were probing for an opening with Nailsea going close in the 16th minutes when Harry Hope found Matt Long on the left, his searching cross was not seized upon by any of his colleagues passing just wide of the far post.

On 20 minutes Nailsea failed to clear their lines which required Rob Brown to clear with an acrobatic save somehow keeping the ball out of the net with his feet higher than his head. This respite was only temporary with Wells taking the lead one minute later with a firm shot across Jack smith and into the net.

Worse was to follow for Nailsea as five minutes later a free kick from the right somehow eluded Jack Smith to sail into the home net to double the lead for the visitors. On the half an hour mark, the United defence were cut open with Jack Smith doing well to prevent a further goal in a one on one situation with a Wells player with the ball rebounding to safety. Nailsea were in need of a goal to give them some confidence which nearly happened ten minutes before the break when Harry Hope did well to win the ball on the left before squaring the ball to Matt Long in the middle who did everything right by opening his body to guide the ball towards the right of the keeper only to see the  keeper stretch his leg to divert the ball away from goal.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0 Wells City Reserves 2

United started the second half strongly but could not prise the Wells defence open. On 60 minutes Nathan Shipway gave way to James Taylor as the Nailsea management looked to give their side a better cutting edge. On 70 minutes a good move saw the ball played to Rob Attwood but his shot lacked conviction and was sent wide. Two minutes later a long shot by Harry Hope suffered the same fate.

A good run by Adam Bell gave Jake Burgess the chance to cross the ball into the danger area where Matt Long set up a chance for Rob Attwood but again the end result was a shot wide of the mark. With just 15 minutes left a corner from the left by Adam Bell was met by the head of James Taylor just beyond the far post but although the Wells keeper was beaten good defending saw the ball cleared. The last half chance came as the official looked at his watch to bring the match to and end. Jake Burgess crossed to find Harry Hope but his effort did not trouble the Wells keeper.

Final Score. Nailsea United 0 Wells City Reserves 2

So, for the third match running United were unable to get onto the score sheet although they more than matched their opponents in possession terms but the wrong choice of pass at crucial times saw them have very little clear cut chances.

Next Saturday September 3rd see them home again this time to old foes Shirehampton who like United are having an indifferent start to the season. Kick Off 3.00pm.