Nailsea United Football Club was established in 1897, playing its first organised game on 16th October of that year against the Old King Street Club Bristol. In 1899, the Club joined the Clevedon & District League and this was followed by periods in the Weston & District, Bristol & District, and Bristol Church of England Leagues between 1909 and 1946.
The Club played its home fixtures at Nailsea Park and Cricket Field Green in the town, before moving to its current home at the Grove, Nailsea, in 1946. The same year also saw the Club and its Reserve side move into the Bristol & Suburban League. Prior to the construction of the Grove Sports Centre in the early 70’s, the Club’s players changed in what was previously a Golf Pavilion, relocated to the Grove from another site in the town. The Club was also one of the first to install floodlights in the Bristol area, which remained in place at the Grove until the early 1970’s, when they were removed due to a road widening scheme. The 1970’s also saw the Club enjoy a period of significant growth, increasing its number of teams to five and with this came moves to the Somerset County and Weston-Super-Mare & District Leagues, where its sides still compete to this day.
The Club has enjoyed its fair share of success during its long history, primarily winning the Somerset County League Premier Division Championship twice, the Somerset County League KO Cup four times and the Somerset FA Senior KO Cup. The Club’s ‘A’, ‘B’ and Colts sides have regularly won Weston-Super-Mare & District League titles and Cups.
Pictured above is the Nailsea United team from 1964.