April 29, 2018

Chilcompton Sports 5 Nailsea United 1


It was an away trip to league leaders Chilcompton Sports that awaited Nailsea on Saturday. In the first match of the season United were the victors by a single goal at The Grove but Chilcompton have kicked on since then. The Nailsea side included another young player in Will Symonds given a taste of this level of football.

United were defending up the slope with the home side putting immediate pressure on the Nailsea defence. On 11 minutes Chilcompton had the chance to take the lead but their attacker side footed the ball wide with only Owen Adamson to beat.

Having weathered the initial storm Nailsea showed what they are capable of with a strong run by Luke Penberthy down the left with his cross just too far in front of the waiting Adam Marsden. The Chilton pressure was continuing with Owen Adamson saving twice in a matter of seconds at the near post.

Finally, on 30 minutes the home side took the lead with a move down the right which resulted in a cross leading to the ball being bundled into the Nailsea net from close range. Nailsea were not daunted by this reverse as they took the game to Chilcompton. On 37 minutes good interplay on the right flank between Harry Hope and Luis Parham saw the home keeper forced to make a save at the near post.

A minute later Nailsea equalised when Adam Marsden did well to create space on the right before crossing into the danger area where Harry Hope made a brave challenge to beat the keeper to the ball to force the ball into the net to deservedly bring the scores level.

Half Time. Chilcompton Sports 1  Nailsea United 1

This was an exhilarating 45 minutes of football with the home side showing why they lead the league with the very young Nailsea side matching them for most of the time.

With the slope in their favour United started the second half well with Will Symonds making a strong run down the wing but his cross eluded his colleagues on this occasion. With ten minutes of the half gone the home side retook the lead when a cross from the right was headed powerfully beyond Adamson and into the net.

Three minutes later a penalty was awarded to Chilcompton which was duly despatched to give them a two goal advantage. To add to Nailsea’s problems centre back Rob Brown was forced to leave the field with a head injury caused during the penalty incident. This meant a reshuffle with Adam Mardsen slotting into defence. Ben Pinkney replaced Rob Brown.

Nailsea made their last change on 70 minutes with Joe Sharps being replaced by Ciaran Price in midfield. Nailsea then had slightly the better of play as they tried to regain some ground in the game with Sam Olsen making a good interception before playing the ball wide to Luis Parnham but the move broke down with Chilcompton clearing their lines.

In the last three minutes Nailsea without the influence of Rob Brown at the back succumbed to two further goals following Chilcompton moves down the right which both ended with close range shots finding the Nailsea net.

Full Time. Chilcompton Sports 5  Nailsea United 1

To be honest the score line does not reflect the match as the Nailsea side were in the game for 70% of the game with only the last five minutes being completely undone.

The young players in the Nailsea squad can only learn from matches like this and the whole team can be proud of their performance today.

Make no mistake this Chilcompton side are a very good unit with Nailsea Manager Chris Adamson paying them the ultimate compliment by comparing them to the triple championship winning Nailsea side of a few years ago.

In the other result on Saturday the Reserves came away from Banwell with a four two win.

On Monday (tomorrow) the “A” side play away to Wrington Redhill Reserves in a cup match with a 6.15 Kick Off. I know they would appreciate any support you can give them

On Tuesday night May 1st the first team make the short journey to Clevedon United. Kick Off 6.30pm. The following night the “B” team are at home to Selkirk United as they keep up the pressure on Portishead Town “B” for the league title. Kick Off 6.30.