May 2, 2018

Clevedon United 1 Nailsea United 1

It was a short trip to Coleridge Vale for the United team on Tuesday night to play Clevedon United. Both sides are comfortably in mid table so just the normal local derby status was at stake.

The home side made the early running with keeper Own Adamson pushing away a deflected shot which was bound for the bottom corner. Immediately afterwards Ryan Ford did well to clear a dangerous cross.

Gradually the United side got into their stride with Luke Penberthy being fed the ball on the right but his shot was wide of the mark. The visitors were now taking the game to Clevedon with a snap shot on ten minutes by Penberthy being saved by the keeper. On the quarter an hour mark a free kick by James Springett beyond the far post was collected by Penberthy who was seeing a lot of the ball but his shot fizzed across the goal and out for a goal kick.

Five minutes later Sam Olsen flighted a well directed pass to Ben Pinkney but the keeper was untroubled. The Nailsea pressure was finally rewarded on 21 minutes with a cross from the right by Ryan Ford picking out Harry Hope on the edge of the area, a quick adjustment of his feet gave him space to fire in a shot with perfect accuracy into the far corner to give his side the lead.

In the 25th minutes Luke Penberthy on the right left his marker for dead with his speed to cross into the middle where Ben Pinkney made a good connection with his head but the ball was wide of the target. Clevedon were restricted to the odd breakaway but came close to equalising on 28 minutes with a shot just wide of the upright. The next goal attempt came to Nailsea when Ryan Ford found Ben Pinkney who cleverly made space for a shot that was just wide.

In the final minutes of the first half another quick break saw Penberthy down the right flank before crossing but just too far in front of Harry Hope. With the referee looking at his watch for half time Clevedon missed a golden chance to score when their attacker blazed wide from a great position. However, on the stroke of half time United failed to clear their lines allowing Clevedon to equalise from close range.

Half Time. Clevedon United 1  Nailsea United 1

Having seen off the initial burst by the home side Nailsea dominated the rest of the half only for their good work to be undone by poor defensive play at the end of the half.

The second half started with both sides seeking to take the lead with United coming the closest on 53 minutes when a typical piece of close control by Hope on the left gave him the chance to fire in a cross which Luke Penberthy pushed wide. On 65 minutes Nailsea made a double substitution with Sol Wanjou Smith and Joe Sharps replacing Ben Pinkney and Stuart Lee respectively. Immediately Clevedon forced Owen Adamson to make a full length save diving to his right to keep the scores even.

With 20 minutes remaining a Luis Parnham free kick picked out the head of Harry Hope but his header lacked conviction and was easily saved by the keeper. The final United change was made on 75 minutes with Adam Marsden being replaced by Ciaran Price. There was still time for a Harry Hope free kick to go just wide and the Clevedon keeper making an acrobatic save from a close header to ensure that the points were shared.

Final Score. Clevedon United 1  Nailsea United 1

This was an entertaining game on a difficult surface with Nailsea having more chances but Clevedon were always likely to score with their centre forward using his close control.

On Saturday May 5th United travel to Ilminster Town. Please note early kick off of 2.00pm. The Reserves are at home on Bank Holiday Monday May 7th hosting high riding Radstock Town Reserves. Kick Off 3.00pm.

The final matches for the First team are on Saturday May 12th when they are home at The Grove to Shirehampton. Please this is another early kick off at 2.00pm. Then we have the return Nailsea derby at Fryth Way on Tuesday May 15th against Nailsea & Tickenham. Kick Off. 7.00pm.