April 12, 2016

Clevedon United 2-3 Nailsea United

It was an early mid-day kick off for Nailsea when they travelled to near neighbours Clevedon United to be played at Coleridge Vale.

The visitors started the more brightly with Harry Hope finding Stuart Lee on five minutes but his flicked shot brought a good save from the Clevedon keeper. The Nailsea pressure was rewarded after 17 minutes when Harry Hope picked up the ball midway into the Clevedon half before releasing to Adam Bell on the edge of the penalty area. Bell still had a lot to do but twisted and turned before finding the space he was looking for allowing him to have a sight on goal and release a low shot which the keeper could only touch into the corner of the net. One nil to Nailsea.

Minutes later Adam Bell was the provider feeding Sol Wanjou Smith on the right who cut in towards goal bringing another good save from the home custodian. Clevedon gradually worked their way into the game although Harry Hope had a half chance five minutes before half time from a pass by Sol Wanjou Smith only to fire straight at the keeper. With only two minutes left of the half, Clevedon were awarded a penalty which was duly converted to bring the half to a close with all to play for.

Half Time. Clevedon United 1 Nailsea United 1

The first half saw Nailsea have the better of the first 20 minutes with the home side probably going in with more confidence after their late equaliser.

It took only seven minutes after the restart for Clevedon to take the lead for the first time when a mistake by Rob Brown allowed the ball to run to a Clevedon player whose rocket shot from distance gave Josh Dann no chance. Nailsea had to gather themselves if they were going to get anything from this match and continued to do so with Stuart Lee heading over a cross from Sol Wanjou Smith who was fed by James Springett.

On 67 minutes goal scorer Adam Bell was replaced by Rob Attwood with Matt Long pushing further forward. It was the visitors that were looking the more dangerous as the half wore on culminating with a typical Harry Hope strike to bring them level with a quarter of an hour to go. The ball was worked to Hope on the left who cut inside of his marker before releasing a fiercely hit shot that was too good for the home keeper to bring his team level. At this point there was going to be only one winner with Nailsea pressing hard. Within two minutes Nailsea had the chance to go ahead but the normally assured Stuart Lee failed to make contact with the goal at his mercy from a pass by Matt Long.

As Nailsea searched for the winner Rod Attwood caught the Clevedon defence square but with only the keeper to beat his shot rolled agonisingly wide of the far post. Finally, Nailsea scored

what was to turn out to be the winning goal eight minutes before the end. Matt Long who had worked hard throughout the match carried the ball into the Clevedon half before finding Stuart Lee on the right who rounded the keeper but was pushed wide before from a seemingly impossible angle shot into the empty net to more than atone for his aberration a little earlier.

The Nailsea management then made a further substitution with Ryan Lester replacing James Taylor for the final eight minutes before the match was brought to an end.

Final Score. Clevedon United 2 Nailsea United 3

Another three hard earned points for Nailsea as they win their third game in a row moving further away from the relegation battle below them. Their next two fixtures are away with tough looking games with Wrington Redhill on Tuesday April 12th kick off 6.30pm to be followed by a visit to Staplegrove on Saturday April 16th kick off 3.00pm.

Next games at the Grove see the Reserves entertain Cheddar Reserves on Tuesday April 12th kick off 6.30pm before they see high riding 1610 Taunton United as their visitors on Saturday April 16th kick off 3.00pm.