April 14, 2018

Clutton 0 Nailsea United 4


After many weeks of wet and cold weather the sun was out as United travelled to Clutton. The pitch was in good condition after all of the recent rain.

Nailsea forced a corner after three minutes which was taken from the right by Ross Prosser. The Clutton defence failed to clear the ball allowing an alert Harry Hope to score from close range. A minute later Nailsea were awarded a free kick which was expertly taken by James Springett towards Stuart Lee who out jumped the home defence to flick the ball into the net to double his teams advantage.

After such a frenetic start the game settled down with the home side recovering their composure as the play evened out. On 15 minutes a good move down the United right developed with Ross Prosser providing the cross for Sam Olsen only to see his shot deflected for a corner.

The first real chance for Clutton came on 35 minutes but the shot was well wide of the target. With ten minutes of the first half remaining a run by Harry Hope  along the goal line saw him pull the ball back to Sam Olsen who showed good awareness to feed Adam Marsden who outwitted his marker to drive the ball into the Clutton net to give Nailsea a well deserved three goal advantage.

Half Time. Clutton 0  Nailsea United 3

The first half belonged to the visitors who looked threatening every time they attacked with Clutton reduced to long range shots which were easily gathered by Owen Adamson.

The second half started with Harry Hope making typical run down the left before cutting in to shoot which required the combination of the home keeper and a defender to keep it out of the net.

On 60 minutes Nailsea made the first change in a straight swap with Ross Probert being replaced by Kin on the wide right. There were signs that Clutton were not going to lie down as they took the game to Nailsea. At this point United made their second change with Adam Marsden who as ever worked very hard giving way to Ben Pinkney. United made their last change with the experienced Rob Brown giving way to the young Ryan Ford in the back four.

Despite having more of the ball Clutton never really threatened the United lead. On 78 minutes a run this time on the right by Harry Hope saw his long cross go beyond the Clutton penalty area where it was picked up by Kin but the resultant shot did not trouble the home keeper.

Then as full time was due a long ball down the right was chased down by Ben Pinkney, a moment to set himself before delivering a perfect ball into the middle where Joe Sharps who still had work to do before placing his header wide of the keeper and into the net off of the far post. A picture goal with two youngsters combining well.

Full Time. Clutton 0  Nailsea United 4

Clutton were really undone within five minutes of the start but to their credit never gave up. A clean sheet for Nailsea whose defence stood firm particularly in the second with Louis Parnham giving a performance well ahead of his years. Louis is just one of the younger players who are getting use to the rigours of County football which bodes well for next season.

United are at home on Tuesday night April 17th playing Stockwood Wanderers. Kick Off 6.30pm. The Reserves are at home the following night against Stockwood Green Reserves. Kick Off 6.30pm.