December 8, 2018

Clutton 3 Nailsea United 0


Nailsea travelled to Clutton on a blustery day to battle for three points against a team who due to points being deducted were below them in the league.

United had the first concerted attack on five minutes with a move down the left between Rob Brown and Matt Day who won a corner. From the corner Ben Barrett worked his way along the line but his cross was gathered by the keeper. On ten minutes Clutton broke away but the resultant shot was straight a Jack Smith.

The home side were now having more of the ball with Rob Brown making a goal line interception to keep the game scoreless. On 22 minutes United raided down the right with Ben Barrett moving quickly, he cut in but his cross was tantalising close to Matt Day but the important touch was missing.

 Five minutes later Nailsea had the best chance of opening the score when Barrett broke through the middle but with only the keeper to beat he shot wide. Five minutes before the break Ben Barrett had a deflected shot scrambled to safety by the home keeper.

Half Time, Clutton 0  Nailsea United 0

The wind and ground conditions ensured that neither side could make an impact with all to play for in the second half.

Clutton started the second half strongly with a shot from distance which was high and wide. On 58 minutes it was Clutton who nearly took the lead with a shot that just rolled wide of the United upright. Ten minutes later a flurry of activity in the Clutton penalty area saw Ben Barrett and Matt Day both having chances within a minute of one another but the Clutton goal somehow survived.

Just a minute later it was the Nailsea goal that had a charmed life when a Clutton shot cannoned from the crossbar only for the Clutton striker to blaze wide with the goal gaping from the rebound. The action then turned to the other end with Matt Day creating space on the left but his shot found the side netting.

First change for Nailsea came on 67 minutes when Luis Parnham was replaced by Nathan Hall. A minute later Clutton took the lead when they scored from a rebound from the post. Worse was to follow for Nailsea when a minute later another home attack saw two forwards completely unmarked giving them the chance to double their lead which they did with no trouble

Nailsea then replaced Matt Thomas with Will Hodges as they tried to retrieve the game. The game was put beyond the reach of Nailsea with ten minutes remaining when Clutton raided down the right to score with a shot that went across Jack Smith to nestle in the net.

The remaining minutes saw Clutton comfortably contain the Nailsea attack to ensure that they took the honours.

Final Score. Clutton 3 Nailsea United 0

This was a lacklustre display by United who left too many gaps in defence particularly in the second half which Clutton took full advantage of.

Next week the First Team are without a game with the Reserves playing Banwell at home. Kick Off 2.00pm