April 4, 2016

Dundry Athletic 0-3 Nailsea United

A relative short journey saw United travel to Dundry Athletic on a blustery day underneath the flight path to Bristol Airport.

United were immediately on the attack with the home keeper just managing to keep out a shot by Matt Long with his legs in the first minute. On 14 minutes a typical weaving run from deep by Stuart Lee saw the Dundry keeper use his legs again to keep out the end product from Lee’s run.

It was going to be only a matter of time as Nailsea relentlessly attacked until they took the lead. This came on 17 minutes following a corner from the right by Adam Bell which was only partially cleared before finding Captain Tom Richens whose overhead kick found the roof of the net. Three minutes later Dundry could not contain the United attack as Adam Bell cut down the left wing before send in a dangerous cross which was prodded over the line by an alert Sol Wanjou Smith to double the visitors lead.

The home side had the occasional break but everything was handled by the United defence. On 23 minutes Adam Bell again bore down on the Dundry goal but this time his shot was just wide of the target. With ten minutes remaining it was the turn of the other wide man , Sol Wanjou Smith to cause panic in the Dundry ranks when he collected a pass just inside the Dundry half before leaving his marker for dead and making for the dead ball line where he released a pass to Matt Long who appeared to receive an unlucky bobble which saw his shot rise over the bar.

Half Time. Dundry Athletic 0 Nailsea United 2

This was a half completely dominated by Nailsea who mastered the tricky conditions much better than their opponents.

Within three minutes of the restart Nailsea put the match to bed when after a neat passing movement James Springett released Adam Bell on the right, before the home keeper had chance to set himself Bell’s fierce angled shot was past him and into the net to give is side a three nil lead. In further attacks Harry Hope sent the industrious Bell away this time on the left but Stuart Lee was unable to keep Bell’s cross on target. With 30 minutes remaining Matt Long was replaced by Chris Malone with Stuart Lee dropping back to covers Matt Long’s position.

At this point United began to take their foot from the pedal allowing Dundry more of the ball which saw them have a couple of chances with Josh Dann saving well when called upon. With 15 minutes remaining a James Springett free kick was met by the head of Stuart Lee who found Harry Hope but his first time shot was wide of the mark. Nailsea then saw Sam Olsen replace Sol Wanjou

Smith. There were no further goals as Nailsea coasted to a well deserved victory before the referee called a halt to the proceedings.

Full Time. Dundry Athletic 0 Nailsea United 3

This was an emphatic win for United against a side that are deep in the relegation zone. The three points gained by United has taken them into eleventh place in the league.

Next week, Saturday April 9th Nailsea again have a short journey to play Clevedon United. Please note the early kick off at 12.00 noon. On the same day at The Grove the Reserves entertain bottom club Burnham United Reserves. Kick Off 3.00pm.