February 2, 2020

Fry Club 1 Nailsea United 1

Nailsea travelled to Somerdale to play Fry Club on a day that had gale force winds blowing across the pitch. It was obvious from the start that the wind would negate any chance of decent football.

Nailsea had the first scoring chance on ten minutes when a driven corner by James Springett was headed over the bar by Stuart Lee. Two minutes later the home side took the lead from a corner that the United defence failed to cut out giving an easy chance for the home attacker to head home.

On 25 minutes Nailsea constructed a move which saw a Mike Rowcliffe shot only parried by the keeper to Matt Thomas on the left of goal who then crossed to find Stuart Lee beyond the far post but his headed effort grazed the outside of the post.

With both sides finding it difficult to deal with the elements it was Tom Richens that took the initiative when just inside of the Fry Club half he took aim to send a 40 yard shot which flew into the net giving the bemused keeper no chance. A goal Tom will dine out on for the rest of the season.

On 34 minutes Fry Club were forced to make a change when their keeper had to leave the field through injury caused in a fifty fifty tackle with Stuart Lee. Two minutes later Mark Iles had the chance to test the new keeper but his free kick was just wide of the goal.

Half Time. Fry Club 1  Nailsea United 1

At the start of the second half the wind showed no sign of abating, if anything Nailsea were now defending into the wind. Five minutes into the second half Nailsea were dealt a blow when Stuart Lee had to leave the field due to an injury he sustained in the collision with the Fry Club keeper in the first half. Nathan Shipway came on as a replacement.

The second half saw no real goalmouth action with the home side coming the closest to a goal on 70 minutes when a shot was deflected running just wide of the Nailsea goal. The resultant corner was headed wide.  A minute later Nailsea made their second change with Mike Carroll being replaced by Jamie Butt with Adam Marsden being pushed into the front line.

As the official was looking at his watch the home side had the chance to steal all of the points but the Fry Club attacker shot over after a good turn to ensure that the points were shared.

Full Time.  Fry Club 1  Nailsea United 1

This result means that Nailsea have gone six games undefeated which has propelled them up the table. As for the game itself I do not think any of the sides were unhappy to hear the final whistle with a draw the best result.

Next Saturday, Nailsea are at home to Watchet Town with a 2.30pm start.

In other results on Saturday the Reserves lost by the odd goal in three at home to league leaders Chew Magna, The “A” side lost 3-2 to Uphill Castle the “C” team were also beaten 4-1 by Weston Celtic with the only side to win were the “B” side who beat Yatton & Cleeve 4-2 to remain joint leaders of their league.