May 6, 2018

Ilminster Town 2 Nailsea United 3


It was the long trip to South Somerset for United as they played Ilminster Town. The home side were desperate for points as they fight against possible relegation with the number of clubs going down uncertain at the moment. The weather was more conducive to cricket on a very warm afternoon.

Nailsea immediately took the game to Ilminster with a quick break seeing Adam Marsden bearing down on the home keeper who was able to save the strikers shot. On 11 minutes a Harry Hope run down the left saw him pull the ball back into the goal area where neither Adam Marsden nor Sam Olsen could force the ball over the line.

On the quarter of an hour mark Hope created space for himself before unleashing a shot from 25 yards which was arrowing into the top corner before the home keeper tipped the ball over the bar with a great save. Two minutes later against the run of play Ilminster took the lead when a hopeful ball into the Nailsea danger area was not collected by Jack Smith under pressure from an Ilminster player who the referee deemed to be acting within the laws leaving him to fire home from close range.

The home side spurred on by their goal advantage came more into the game with a flashing drive across the Nailsea goal. With five minutes to go until half time Kin swung in a great cross which was forced away for a corner. The corner from the right was taken by Kin to eventually fall to Stuart Lee who made no mistake in finding the net for the equaliser.

The late Nailsea pressure was rewarded with just two minutes of the first half remaining following clearance from the defence which found Harry Hope on the left. A second to compose himself was all that was required before he blasted the ball past the keeper to give Nailsea a half time lead.

Half Time. Ilminster Town 1  Nailsea United 2


It took only three minutes for the home side to bring the scores level when a cross from their left was not cleared allowing them to bundle the ball into the net. Nailsea responded with Hope having the ball at his feet on the left before aiming for the top corner with the ball just inches away from the target.  On 57 minutes Nailsea finally retook the lead with Sam Olsen fastening on to a poor clearance from the home keeper before advancing to confidentially slide the ball into the net.

With the heat taken its toll United replaced the hard working Adam Marsden with Ben Pinkney on 60 minutes. The second change came on 72 minutes with Kin giving way to Jamie Roberts. United were weathering the Ilminster attacks well by also creating their own chances with Luis Parnham picking out Sam Olsen who showed great control before firing wide. In the final piece of goalmouth action good interplay between Hope and James Springett opened up the home defence only for the Ilminster keeper to make a save to deny a goal.

Final Score. Ilminster Town 2 Nailsea United 3

This was a hard fought win against a home side that were fighting for survival in this league. It was a good all round performance but mention must be made of Stuart Lee who was dominant both in the air and on the ground to ensure the points came back to Nailsea. In other results the Reserves shared the points with Tunley in scoreless draw.

Next Saturday May 12th, United are at home to Shirehampton in a clash of former league champions. Please note early kick off of 2.00pm. The following Tuesday May 15th United play their last game of the season when they visit Nailsea & Tickenham in a local derby. Kick Off 7.00pm.