October 27, 2019

Keynsham Town Reserves 2 Nailsea United 1

Once again it was an away fixture for Nailsea as they travelled to play Keynsham Town Reserves. They would look to continue the good work in beating Middlezoy Rovers last week.

It was the home side that started at a quick tempo putting the United defence under immediate pressure. A shot on 5 minutes from Keynsham was too high. Two minutes later a Keynsham move down their left saw a goal bound shot tipped over the bar by the acrobatic Rob Brown. Keynsham were relentless and were unlucky to see a header bounce off of the United bar to safety.

Gradually Nailsea got into their stride with a Nathan Shipway shot on ten minutes which was too high. Two minutes later Will Hodges pulled the ball back to James Springett but his well struck shot curved agonisingly away from the far post. Keynsham retaliated by taking the lead on 23 minutes when a good move saw the ball slotted past Rob Brown for the opening goal.

The play was end to end with Nailsea becoming stronger as the half wore on. With five minutes remaining before the break Nailsea scored the equaliser. A bout of interpassing gave Matt Day a sight on goal although his first attempt was blocked he made no mistake with the rebound firing into the roof of the home net.

Half Time. Keynsham Town Reserves 1  Nailsea United 1

As with the first half it was the home side that were on the front foot with a dangerous cross headed wide after four minutes. Nailsea then began to make the changes with Leon Osborne replacing Henry Symonds on 55 minutes. United had a golden chance to take the lead on 57 minutes from a James Springett free kick which found Sam Olsen in space but on this occasion his headed attempt was wide from a great position.

The second Nailsea change came on 58 minutes when Will Hodges gave way to Ben Barrett looking for him to stretch the home defence. With 20 minutes remaining Nailsea paid for sloppy work in defence with Jamie Whitfield being robbed just outside the area but in trying to retrieve the situation he conceded a penalty which was duly sent past Rob Brown to regain the lead for the home side.

Rob Brown had to be at his best to claw away a shot set up by a Keynsham free kick to keep the deficit to one goal. With seven minutes remaining a limping Jamie Whitfield gave way to James Taylor who in an effort to force the equaliser went straight into the attack.

United were unlucky when following a corner a shot by Ryan Ford bounced against the home upright but rebounded to safety.

Final Score.  Keynsham Town Reserves 2  Nailsea United 1

This was a frustrating result for United players, management and supporters as having worked so hard to get into the game they were undone by a needless mistake of their own making.

Next week November 2nd they travel once again to Westfield with a 2.30pm start.