January 28, 2018

Middlezoy Rovers 1 Nailsea United 0


Nailsea travelled to the Somerset Levels on Saturday  to play Middlezoy Rovers. The pitch was surprisingly firm after the persistent rain of the week before.

Within 30 seconds of the start United found themselves one goal down. A long pass to the Middlezoy left was met perfectly by the home attacker who side footed the ball beyond Owen Adamson without a United player touching the ball.

Stunned by this early reversal United had the chance to equalise two minutes later but Ben Pratt was unable to control his shot properly to fire over the bar.

There was further disappointment for Nailsea a minute later when wing back Ross Probert was forced to leave the field with a suspect hamstring injury to be replaced by Kin. On eight minutes a strong run by Luke Penberthy through the centre saw his end product go wide of the post. The home side then forced Owen Adamson into a good save at his far post.

On 25 minutes a James Springett free kick from the left picked out Rob Brown on the far post but although he had a good connection the ball sailed past the far upright. Nailsea were having the better of the play but could not score that elusive equaliser.

 On the half an hour mark the ball was fed through to Luke Pemberthy but the live wire centre forward was already struggling with an injury pulled his shot wide. This was the last action for Penberthy as he finally retired to be replaced by Louis Parnham.

With five minutes remaining of the half Adam Marsden had a half chance but his shot lacked conviction being easily gathered by the home keeper.

Half Time.  Middlezoy Rovers 1  Nailsea United 0

Despite the early goal conceded Nailsea had the better of the first half but as in the previous match against Odd Down they failed to turn their approach play into goals.

The second half started with the home side looking more comfortable forcing Adamson to push a goal bound shot around the post on 60 minutes. Neither side could conjure up a real goal chance as the half continued with both defences holding firm. With ten minutes remaining Joe Sharps was replaced by Ben Pinkney as the final roll of the dice by the United management.

In the final minutes a James Springett corner was met by the head of Sam Olsen but the chance went the same way as previous attempts by going over the bar.

Final Score. Middlezoy Rovers 1 Nailsea United 0


This was another frustrating afternoon for Nailsea United players, Management and Supporters as they succumbed again to a defeat by a single goal.

Next week United travel to play Ilminster Town with a kick off at 2.30pm.

In the only other Nailsea fixture on Saturday the Reserves were beaten at home by Hutton going down by two goals to one. Next Saturday the Reserves host second in the league Radstock Town Reserves. Kick Off 2.30pm. Also at The Grove the Colts side play Burnham United B with a 14.30 Kick Off.