October 20, 2019

Middlezoy Rovers 1 Nailsea United 2

Following two weeks of cup football it was back to the bread and butter of league action as Nailsea travelled to Middlezoy Rovers. Both sides were in mid table so a close game was expected.

United had the first half chance when a Will Symonds cross from the left was met by the head of Matt Day but the keeper collected easily. The home side retaliated with Rob Brown cutting out a dangerous low cross. The play was end to end with the Middlezoy left winger cutting in to shoot which went past the far post.

On 20 minutes Ryan Ford found the head of Matt Day but his effort was wide of the mark. Five minutes later Day passed to Jamie Whitfield but the resultant shot curled away from goal. Middlezoy had their chances with a shot on 35 minutes just passing the Nailsea upright.

With the end of the first half in sight a Middlezoy cross from the left was misjudged by Rob Brown giving an easy chance to the home attacker who duly stroked the ball into the net for the opening goal.

Half Time. Middlezoy Rovers 1  Nailsea United 0

Nailsea opened the second half strongly with Sam Olsen chesting the ball back to Matt Day but again the shot was off of the mark. On 55 minutes a shot from Matt Thomas brought a scrambling save from the home keeper. There were signs that Nailsea were getting the better of exchanges without really creating goal chances. A short free kick by James Springett was played to Matt Day who turned well only to see his shot drift wide of the far post.

With 25 minutes remaining Nailsea made a change with Will Hodges giving way to Leon Osborne on the right wing. United continued to press with Matt Thomas trying a shot from distance which did not trouble the home keeper. A minute later Mike Rowcliffe picked out Will Symonds with a rangy pass, Symonds played a first time ball across the home goal area but none of his colleagues could apply the finishing touch. United then made a second change with Brad Cogan giving way to Henry Symonds with 12 minutes remaining. A minute later the third substitution was forced when Jamie Whitfield left the field through injury to be replaced by James Taylor.

Nailsea looked like they were heading for another loss by one goal but with four minutes remaining Matt Thomas picked out Matt Day by threading a brilliant ball into the path of the striker who calmly slipped the ball past the keeper for a well deserved equaliser.

With a minute of full time remaining Rob Brown saved at full stretch to keep the score level. It would need a bit of magic to see a winner for either side then up stepped Matt Day.  His selfish running was at last rewarded when a loose back pass from Middlezoy was chased down by Day who rounded the keeper on the right, there seemed no angle to shot but Matt Day had other ideas as his accurate shot was hit into the back of the home net to the delight of his team mates and travelling supporters.

Full Time. Middlezoy Rover 1 Nailsea United 2

This was a well deserved three points for Nailsea based on their second half performance. Matt Day will have the headlines for his two goals but the whole team looked like they wanted to put the past two cup results behind them to rise up the league. This win took Nailsea to sixth place with games in hand.

Next week October 26th they are on the road again this time to play Keynsham Town Reserves. Kick Off 3.00pm

Congratulations to the Reserves who were one nil winners against Portishead Town Reserves in their delayed cup game. Next week at the Grove the Reserves host Bishop Lydeard Reserves. Kick off 3.00pm.

In other results the “A” team lost by the odd goal in five to Churchill Club 70 with the “B” team winning at Shipham 3-2. Finally the Colts lost 5-2 away to league leaders Weston Celtic.