January 5, 2020

Nailsea & Tickenham 0 Nailsea United 0


Saturday saw the first local derby of the season when Nailsea United travelled to Fryth Way the home of Nailsea & Tickenham.

The home side were into their stride from the start with a long shot on three minutes being saved by United keeper Rob Brown at the second attempt. The first real attack from United came on eight minutes when Nathan Shipway was sent away on the right but his resultant shot hit the side netting.

On ten minutes Tickenham had the chance to opening the scoring from a corner but the header was sent side. Tickenham were passing the ball better and hit the post a minute later. United started to put their game together with Stuart Lee unable to convert a cross from the right by Nathan Shipway following good work by the tall striker.

With 25 minutes gone a goal kick by Rob Brown was headed on by Nathan Shipway to Stuart Lee whose cross shot was pushed away to safety by the Tickenham keeper. The game was now more even with United creating a chance with five minutes of the half remaining following a brilliant cross from Adam Marsden which was controlled by Stuart Lee but the normally deadly finisher shot wide from a good position.

Three minutes before the break it was the Lee and Shipway combination that gave a half chance to the latter but again the shot was wide.

Half Time. Nailsea & Tickenham 0  Nailsea United 0

The home side had far the better of the opening 15 minutes but the United defence stood strong before the game evened out with the visitors edging the last part of the half. Goal chances were few and far between with the best going to the visitors.

The second half was only ten minutes old when United were forced into their first change with Tom Richens giving way to Sam Olsen. Nailsea were having their best spell of the game but could not break down the Tickenham defence. With 20 minutes remaining Matt Day was replaced by the free running Matt Thomas as Nailsea looked to open the score. Two minutes later a shot on the turn by Nathan Shipway was just wide. It was now the turn of Tickenham to pressurise the United defence but like their opponents they could not find an opening when on top.

On 82 minutes Stuart Lee played a short ball back to Matt Thomas who hit the ball first time hitting a Tickenham defender on the way before looping over the keeper but over the bar. With time running out a volley by Sam Olsen was sent wide. The closing minutes saw Nailsea defending against a concerted Tickenham attack but no goal was forthcoming before the referee call time.

Final Score.  Nailsea and Tickenham 0  Nailsea United 0

In the end this was a typical game between two mid table sides neither of which could take any of the few chances that were created. Nailsea United will feel  much the happier coming away with a point.

On a personal note I must agree with the comments of the Nailsea & Tickenham Manager following his sides defeat at Watchet a few weeks ago. The sooner the league appoints neutral linesman the better for all concerned.

Next week Nailsea United travel to Worle. Kick Off 2.00pm.

In other results the Reserves beat Yatton & Cleeve by two goals to one at The Grove. The “A” side lost out by the odd goal in five at Worle Reserves. The “C” side kept their promotion hope well alive with win away at Draycott by seven goals to four.