April 27, 2016

Nailsea & Tickenham 1-1 Nailsea United

It was a chilly evening at Fryth Way on Tuesday as United played the reverse local derby with a visit to Nailsea & Tickenham. The home side have high hopes of being League Champions in a straight fight with Bishops Lydeard. A large crowd were assembled looking for a typical derby game to keep them warm.

It took only three minutes for Tickenham to register the opening goal when a break down the left saw the ball flash across the United goal area before being slotted home from the angle. The opening minutes showed how important the game was to Tickenham as they raided the United half of the pitch with Josh Dann keeping the score to one goal with a good save on eight minutes.

Gradually the visitors began to have more of the ball having ridden out the initial onslaught by the home side. On 20 minutes United gained a corner which was swung into the far post by Adam Bell where Jim Lee was waiting to head home to bring the scores level. It was now a much more balanced game with George King firing wide from a Jamie Whitfield cross on the half an hour mark.

United were creating good chances with Jim Lee just unable to get on top of a Adam Bell free kick on 35 minutes sending his header over the bar. No further chances were to be seen before the referee called a halt to the first half.

Half Time. Nailsea & Tickenham 1 Nailsea United 1

A well contested half with the home side having the early ascendency with United coming into the game as the half wore on.

As a the start of the first half it was Tickenham who were quicker out of the blocks with a free kick that was headed over the United bar after just one minute. Both sides could not break down resolute defences until the most controversial moment of the game. Jim Lee was put through beating the Tickenham off side trap with only the keeper to beat. The United striker drew the keeper before sliding the ball onto his favoured left foot beyond the reach of the Tickenham custodian only for the keeper to bring him down just outside the penalty area. To the astonishment of everyone watching the referee decided that a mere yellow card was sufficient punishment. The resultant free kick came to nothing.

On 70 minutes a Alex Goodwin free kick found Matt Long who guided the ball to Adam Bell to the right of the goal forcing a fine save from Tickenham keeper. Five minutes later United were this time indebted to their keeper as Josh Dann saved well from a crisp shot heading for the top corner of the net.

With ten minutes remaining Rob Brown replaced James Taylor who I believe won every aerial battle he was involved in to keep the Tickenham side at bay.

Final Score. Nailsea & Tickenham 1 Nailsea United 1

This was an evenly contested game with only one or two flashpoints when you consider what was at stake for Tickenham. In the end the United defence were magnificent with a very young back four which contained one of the most potent attacking forces in the league. Tickenham would have been relieved to learn that Bishops Lydeard also dropped two points against Staplegrove on the same night.

As far as United are concerned this result has stretched their unbeaten run to eight games. This Saturday April 30th they are at home to Dundry Athletic. Kick Off 3.00pm before travelling to Yatton Athletic on Bank Holiday Monday May 2nd with the kick off at 15.00pm.