October 6, 2018

Nailsea United 0 Castle Cary 1


It was cup day at The Grove as United hosted Castle Cary in the second round of the Somerset Senior Cup. The visitors ply their trade in Division Two of the County League and were looking for a cup upset against their Premier League opponents.

United were the first to strike with Adam Marsden firing over after two minutes. A minute later Castle Cary had a half chance but again the shot was wayward. On seven minutes Nailsea keeper Jack Smith had to be alert as he raced from goal to smother a Castle Cary attack.

With ten minutes on the clock Matt Day did well to send a searching ball in from the right but none of his colleagues were available for a tap in. With ten minutes of the half remaining Matt Day sent Will Symonds away on the left but the visiting keeper cut the angle to make a good save.

On 34 minutes Castle Cary took the lead with a break down their right which ended with a strong shot that evaded Jack Smith to find the far corner of the net. With the referee looking at his watch United were awarded a free kick which was driven along the ground by Ben Pratt, the keeper was unable to collect with the ball rebounding to Matt Day but on this occasion his control deserted him allowing the keeper to save at point blank range.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0  Castle Cary 1

Nailsea had the chances to go into the break with a comfortable lead, would they rue those missed opportunities on 90 minutes? Castle Cary grew into the game to score the only goal of the half.

Nailsea started the second half strongly with the wind in their backs but could not create any real chances. In fact the visitors had the chance to double their lead on 57 minutes but headed wide. Immediately Nailsea responded with Luis Parnham picking out Adam Marsden but his effort was easily gathered. On 70 minutes Nailsea made a double change with Joe Sharps and Ben Pratt being replaced by Henry Symonds and Nathan Hall.

With seven minutes remaining a Will Symonds corner fell to Adam Marsden but the resultant shot was over the bar. With time running out and Castle Cary defending as if their lives depending on it as they scented the scalp of the Premier League side Matt Day created a chance for himself with a piece of close control on the right of the goal but his shot went agonisingly wide of the far post.

Final Score. Nailsea United 0  Castle Cary 1

This was a deserved win for the visitors as United were guilty of lack of composure on the ball time and time again giving the ball away needlessly. Next week they visit Shirehampton in the League Cup needing to up their game against an always dangerous side.

In other results the Reserves go back to the top of the table winning by the only goal of the match away at Congresbury.

Mention must be made of the “C” team gaining their first win of the season with a comprehensive score line of five goals to one over Wrington Redhill “A” side.

Nest Saturday at The Grove the “B” side play Portishead with a 14.45 kick off. The “C” side are also at home to Clevedon United with a 14.45 start time.

As I write this report I am still waiting for the “A” team result, a win would send them to the top of the league. Stop Press, “A team go top with a fine win over Uphill Castle.