December 1, 2019

Nailsea United 0 Clevedon United 0

Playing at home for the first time since the last day of August, Nailsea faced near neighbours Clevedon United. Having suffered heavy defeats in their last two games it was obvious that Nailsea would have to up their game against a Clevedon side that were having a good season with some excellent results.

It was the visitors that took the game to Nailsea in the opening minutes with Rob Brown called upon to save at the feet of a Clevedon forward on eight minutes. Gradually Nailsea got their game together with Stuart Lee heading over from a James Springett free kick on 20 minutes.

Clevedon were testing the Nailsea defence with a shot going just wide on the half an hour mark. An immediate counter attack saw Adam Marsden do well on the right to send in a cross which was gathered by the visiting keeper. In the next minute Stuart Lee put Matt Day through on goal but his shot was pulled wide. In an action filled five minutes a dipping long range shot from Clevedon was pushed over the bar by Rob Brown.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0 Clevedon United 0

The first 45 minutes were dominated by Clevedon in the early part but Nailsea showing a new resolve weathered the storm before themselves putting pressure on the Clevedon defence as the half progressed.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first with Clevedon on the front foot. Neither keeper was called into action in opening minutes with the nearest to a goal coming on 65 minutes when Sam Olsen flicked a James Springett free kick just wide of the upright. It was Clevedon who had the next chance on 75 minutes when they broke through the Nailsea defence but the resultant shot was off target.

With 15 minutes remaining the hard working Matt Day was replaced by Nathan Shipway at the head of the Nailsea attack. The game was more even at this stage with the visitors putting together a well constructed move on 80 minutes but again the end product was wide of the mark. Two minutes later Nailsea lost James Springett to injury to be replaced by Ryan Ford. It looked like one goal would settle this match which nearly went to Nailsea when a long range shot from Stuart Lee whistled past the Clevedon post.

With five minutes remaining Adam Marsden was replaced by Colts player Josh Hann. In a final attack Stuart Lee found Ryan Ford but his shot lacked conviction to be safely gathered by the keeper.

Final Score. Nailsea United 0  Clevedon United 0

This was a vastly improved performance by Nailsea in a game which ebbed and flowed with both defences on top. Clevedon are a very useful side and holding them to a draw was a measure of the change in commitment showed by the home side after some recent frustrating results.

Although the whole of the defence played well mention must be made of the sound handling of Rob Brown and the assured performance of Matt Thomas at the left of the back line. If they can continue with the same attitude over the rest of the season this Nailsea side will climb the table.

Next week Nailsea are at home to Fry Club another side who are difficult to beat. Kick Off 2.00pm.

In other results the Reserves went down by the odd goal in five against Combe St Nicholas, the “A” side suffered a heavy defeat by seven goals to nil against Locking Park with the “B” side redressing the balance by beating Locking Park Reserves 4-0 to go second in the league.