December 8, 2019

Nailsea United 0 Fry Club 2

Keynsham based Fry Club were the visitors to The Grove on Saturday. Nailsea were hoping to build on the spirited display against Clevedon United Last week but would be without the influential James Springett and Stuart Lee in the starting line up.

It was Nailsea that started the strongest being awarded a free kick on three minutes which was taken by Matt Day only to see the ball fly inches wide of the post. The visitors then began to put their game together nearly taking the lead from a corner which was poked wide. On 15 minutes Nailsea were indebted to Rob Brown who did well to save a well directed header at the base of the post.

With 20 minutes elapsed Will Symonds dug out a good cross from the left which Matt Day could only head wide from a good position.  Fry Club were now having more of the ball with their right winger tormenting the home defence. The pressure finally yielded a goal with a cross from the right being headed beyond Brown to give the visitors the lead.

Nailsea could not put any meaningful attacks together as the Fry side played neat football nearly doubling their lead on 33 minutes with Rob Brown again saving well. On 44 minutes Nailsea were forced to make a change with the injured Will Hodges being replaced by Nathan Shipway. On the stroke of half time another cross from Will Symonds was inches away from the head of Shipway as Nailsea looked for the equaliser.

Half Time.  Nailsea United 0 Fry Club 1

The visitors looked the better side finding their men well to stretch the Nailsea defence and were worthy of their slender lead.

With ten minutes of the second half played Fry Club doubled their lead with a deep cross from the right beyond the far post where a Fry forward connected with a powerful header which gave Rob Brown no chance. Nailsea were unlucky on 63 minutes when a free kick taken by Adam Marsden was met by the head of Nathan Shipway only to hit the side netting. The second home change was made with Leon Osborne giving way to Joe Sharps. The remainder of the half saw Fry Club in control with only a speculative shot from Matt Thomas in the closing stages coming close to giving United a consolation goal.

Full Time.  Nailsea United 0 Fry Club 2

This was a disappointing display from the home side who never met the energetic performance of the previous week allowing a good Fry Club team too much space.

Next week United travel Stockwood Green in South Bristol. Kick Off 2,00pm. At The Grove the Reserves host Burnham United Reserves. Kick Off 2.00pm.

In other results the Reserves lost 6-2 to Bishop Lydeard Reserves with the “A” side beaten by the odd goal in five by Uphill Castle Reserves in a cup fixture. Better fortune for “C” side who beat Draycott on penalties in another cup fixture. Lastly, the “B” team lost at home to Wrington Redhill by three goals to two.