March 3, 2019

Nailsea United 0 Fry Club 2

Third placed Fry Club were the visitors to The Grove on Saturday for this Somerset County League Premier Division fixture. The visitors are keeping pace with the top teams as they strive to win the title.

Fry Club made their intentions clear from the outset taking the game to Nailsea. It took a good save from Jack Smith to deny the visitors on eight minutes diving to field the ball by the near post. Fry Club were relentless in the opening minutes of the game firing wide of the far post as their speedy right winger stretched the United defence.

It looked like the opening goal was on the cards in the 25th minute but a goal line clearance kept the score line level. Nailsea were finding it difficult to mount any sustained attacks with only a half chance to Ben Barrett as the half came to and end but his shot was dealt with easily by the Fry Club keeper.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0 Fry Club 0

The home side did well to repel the repeated Fry Club attacks to go into the break with the game scoreless. In the final minutes of the half Nailsea looked like they could trouble the Fry defence in the second half.

All of the hard work was undone on 55 minutes when a Fry attack down the right saw the ball pass underneath keeper Jack Smith and into the net to give the lead to the Somervale based club. Three minutes later the score line was doubled when Jack Smith let a shot slip through his fingers for a soft goal.

United then made a double change with Nathan Hall and Luis Parnham being replaced by Rob Brown and Will Symonds with the formation changing to a back three to provide more of an attacking intent. The second half although conceding two goals saw Nailsea have more of the ball as they probed the visitors defence.

With a few minutes left a Will Symonds cross was palmed away by the Fry keeper but Matt Day could not get the connection required to force home the rebound. Lastly it was the visitors that had the best chances to add to their score as the official looked at his watch with Jack Smith making a double save first with his legs and the tipping a shot over the bar.

Final Score. Nailsea United 0 Fry Club 2

Again Nailsea showed that they can be a match for any side in the league with only two soft goals being the difference between the sides although particularly in the first half Fry Club showed why they are in the hunt for honours this season.

Just a word of commiseration to the “A” side who failed to reach the final of the Atwell Memorial Shield competition  losing by the odd goal in five to unbeaten Weston Town at The Grove.

Next week it does not get any easier for the First team as they travel to reigning champions Chilcompton Sports who are well in contention to retain the championship this season. Kick Off 3.00pm.