March 24, 2018

Nailsea United 0 Middlezoy Rovers 2


It was back to league action for United as they played hosts to Middlezoy Rovers. In the reverse fixture earlier in the season Middlezoy won by the single goal which they scored within 30 seconds of the kick off without a single United player touching the ball.

It was an increasingly youthful Nailsea side that took the field and immediately won a corner. As normal  James Springett took the kick with his usual accuracy finding the head of Stuart Lee but the effort went wide. Middlezoy then got into their stride testing the Nailsea defence which held firm.

On 14 minutes James Springett touched the ball to Adam Marsden on the left who swung in a cross where Sam Olsen made good contact bringing an acrobatic save from the visiting keeper. The play was end to end with United unlucky not to go ahead on the half an hour mark when Sam Olsen fed  Adam Marsden but his cross was just too much for Luke Penberthy to make contact.

Within five minutes Middlezoy took the lead with a quick break down their right ending with a shot that evaded Owen Adamson in the home goal.

Half time. Nailsea United 0 Middlezoy Rovers 1

This was a fast paced first half with both sides having half chances but crucially the visitors turned one of their chances into a goal.

Within five minutes of the restart United were awarded a free kick which was taken by James Springett but did not trouble the Middlezoy keeper. To be honest it was the visitors that looked the more dangerous going forward but United put a good move together on 60 minutes when a deep cross by Rob Brown to the far post was taken off of the toes of Kin as he pulled the trigger.

On 65 minutes United made their first change with the hard working Kin being replaced by Ben Pinkney. Nailsea then had the chance to grab the equaliser following a free kick by James Springett from the right of midfield which was headed into the danger area by Stuart Lee only for Sam Olsen to send his header wide.

Further United changes were made as they chased the game with Joe Sharps and Louis Parnham being replaced by Keiron Price and debutant Ben Cowman respectively. With five minutes to go Luke Penberthy broke away down the left before crossing where Ben Pinkney sent in a good header from distance that was gathered by the visiting keeper.

Then in the last minutes Middlezoy made the game safe by doubling their lead with a low shot.

Final Score. Nailsea United 0  Middlezoy Rovers 2

Although the home side matched the visitors for large periods of the game United were unable to get the ball into the net a problem that has been there for most of the season.

Next week March 31st United take the short journey to Fryth Way to play Nailsea & Tickenham in a local derby. Kick Off 3.00pm. The home side are striving to win their first championship and are sure to look to reverse the loss to United earlier on in the season.

At The Grove, the Reserves play bottom of the table Stockwood Green Reserves. Kick Off 3.00pm.