May 12, 2019

Nailsea United 1 Ilminster Town 2

For their last match of the season United were at home to South Somerset side Ilminster Town. With both sides sitting comfortably in mid table only pride was at stake in the spring sunshine.

Nailsea started brightly with Sam Olsen forcing the Ilminster keeper to tip his effort over the bar in the opening minutes. The next goalmouth action was at the Nailsea end when Rob Brown made a good save at the near post as the visitors counter attacked.

On 15 minutes a good run by Sol Wanjou Smith saw him lay the ball to Matt Day whose shot was blocked rebounding to Wanjou Smith but he was unable find the net. The game was end to end with two well matched sides.  Wanjou Smith and Sam Olsen combined but with no end result with Rob Brown again blocking the ball with his feet as the visitors attacked.

On 20 minutes Ilminster took the lead with a move down their right which was finished neatly with the ball finding the back of the net beyond the reach of Brown. Five minutes later Nailsea were awarded a free kick but the strike by was Wanjou Smith was just wide. The visitors were now having more of the play with Nailsea being grateful to Rob Brown as he kept the score to one nil.

With the first half coming to an end Nailsea upped their tempo with Ryan Ford finding Matt Day well but his powerful shot was blocked. However, Nailsea would not be denied scoring the equaliser as the official looked at his watch for half time. A corner from the right taken by Cameron Henderson was met by the head of Stuart Lee finding the back of the net before the keeper could move.

Half Time.  Nailsea United 1  Ilminster Town 1

Ilminster had the better chances in the first half but found Rob Brown in good form. All to play for in the second half.

Once again it was Brown who kept the score the same saving a headed effort at the near post on 55 minutes. On 65 minutes Nailsea made their first change with Cameron Henderson who was carrying an injury making way for Henry Williams. Most of the play was in the middle of the pitch with Nailsea having one chance on 78 minutes when a good passing movement saw Williams finding Wanjou Smith but his precise shot was well saved by the Ilminster keeper.

With ten minutes remaining Will Hodges replaced Nathan Hall as United looked for the winner. Then with five minutes remaining Ilminster scored what turned out to be the winning goal with a long ball down their right which was fought for by a Nailsea defender and a Ilminster forward, it appeared that the Nailsea defender was pushed in the back but the referee saw nothing wrong allowing the Ilminster forward to bear down on goal to slot the ball past Brown.

Final Score. Nailsea United 1  Ilminster Town 2

A disappointing end to the season which saw too many defeats by the single goal for United.

Finally, a word about the Reserves who finished their season in style with a win over Chew Magna by five goals to nil. This means that in their last three games they have scored sixteen goals without conceding one.