August 27, 2018

Nailsea United 1 Shirehampton 2


Old adversaries Shirehampton were the visitors to The Grove on Saturday. Both clubs are going through a rebuilding period after they both dominated the Somerset County League a few seasons ago.

It was the Bristol side that made the early running with Rob Brown doing well to head a goal bound effort from his goal line after ten minutes play. Three minutes later keeper Owen Adamson kept out a low shot to keep the game scoreless.

It took until the 25th minute for Shirehampton to make their pressure tell taking the lead when a fierce shot rebounded from the United crossbar to fall to the visitors prolific scorer Scott Bamford who made no mistake in heading the ball past Owen Adamson to open the scoring.

Worst was to follow on the half an hour mark when Shirehampton were awarded a contentious free kick just outside of the penalty area. The kick was driven along the ground to pass into the Nailsea net just inside the far post out of the reach of Adamson.

This second reverse galvanised the home side with them scoring just four minutes later. A through ball down the middle saw a chase by two Shirehampton defenders and United’s Stuart Lee, the Nailsea striker reached the ball first then had the presence of mind and the skill to lift the ball over the advancing keeper into the empty net. A fine opportunistic goal.

Shirehampton continued to attack with Adamson plucking a dangerous cross out of the air with five minutes of the half remaining.

Half Time. Nailsea United 1   Shirehampton 2

The visitors had the lion’s share of the play in the first 30 minutes of the half with Nailsea coming more into the game after scoring their goal.

With the second half ten minutes old Shirehampton had a golden opportunity to add to their goal tally following a run down the left which resulted in a cross into the Nailsea goal area where the waiting Shirehampton player managed to miss an open goal. On 70 minutes Nailsea made their first change with Luke Penberthy being replaced by Tom Weaver.

Shirehampton still looked the side most likely to score forcing Adamson to make a full length save with 15 minutes remaining. Two minutes later an injured Rob Brown was substituted to be replaced by Ciaran Price.

 United had one last opportunity to salvage a point when they were awarded a free kick in exactly the same place as Shirehampton’s in the first half. However, the kick taken by Stuart Lee was blocked by the defensive wall.

Full Time. Nailsea United 1  Shirehampton 2

Although the season is only three games old United look like they could follow last season’s pattern by losing too many matches by the odd goal as they search for more fire power in attack.

Next Saturday September 1st United take a rest from the league when they entertain Combe St Nicholas in the Somerset Senior Cup at The Grove. Please note early Kick Off of 2.00pm.

Lastly, the Reserves continued their unbeaten start bringing back a point from their visit to Somerton Town Reserves in two all draw. Scorers for United were Jordi Stillwood and Neil Watts.