August 22, 2018

Nailsea United 1 Stockwood Green 1

On Tuesday night South Bristol side Stockwood Green were the visitors to The Grove in a rearranged fixture. Last season the Bristol side were the draw specialists with 13 of their matches ending with sides sharing the points.

United were first out of the blocks winning a corner after three minutes which was taken by Ben Barrett on the right, the ball fell to Luke Penberthy but his shot was blocked by a Stockwood defender. The visitors then began to have more of the ball with a shot on target on 11 minutes which was easily gathered by Owen Adamson.

A close passing move on the quarter of an hour mark gave a chance to Adam Marsden but his effort found the side netting. Stockwood were taking the game to Nailsea with Adamson called into action again making a good save to a low shot. On 30 minutes further neat approach play by Nailsea created a half chance for Sam Olsen but he was unable to get a good contact from a good position.

The remainder of the first half created only one chance when Stuart Lee headed a Ben Barrett corner over the bar.

Half Time.  Nailsea United 0 Stockwood Green 0

An even half of football with Stockwood having the better of the middle stages with Nailsea stronger at the end.

At the start of the second half Nailsea were forced to make a substitution with Stuart Lee being replaced by Jamie Whitfield in the back line of defence. It was the visitors that looked more likely to open the scoring with a dangerous ball across the Nailsea six yard line which only need a touch but United escaped. Stockwood would not be denied as in the 50th minute they took the lead with a long ball which was well controlled before the striker firmly hit the ball past Adamson.

On 60 minutes the Nailsea management made their second change with Ben Pinkney being replaced by Matt Day in attack. The introduction of Day saw a much more positive attacking force from the home side as they pressed for the equaliser. With 15 minutes remaining United made their final change with Rob Brown being replaced by Nathan Hall.

The last 15 minutes saw Nailsea have their best period with play maker James Springett feeding the forwards with thoughtful passes. On 83 minutes yet another well taken corner by Ben Barrett was met at the near post by Matt Day only to be deflected for another corner. Barrett was beginning to make inroads into the Stockwood defence with his close control but could not provide the finish to his artistry.

With five minutes remaining Nailsea had at last something to show for their endeavours when Ben Barrett slid the ball through to Matt Day on the left of goal, he still had a lot to do but one touch to set himself up before finding the far corner of the Stockwood net for the equaliser. A well constructed goal finished in style.

Final Score. Nailsea United 1 Stockwood Green 1

This was well deserved point for United as they came back well from being one down with Matt Day showing enough to think there will be more goals from him as the season proceeds.

This Saturday, Shirehampton are the visitors to The Grove with 3.00pm kick off.