November 19, 2017

Nailsea United 1 Watchet Town 2

After three weeks away from home, United played hosts to current champions Watchet Town. In the reverse fixture a few weeks ago, Nailsea came away with a hard earned draw.

The visitors were the strongest side in the opening minutes with Own Adamson saving well from a back post header on 15 minutes. On 28 minutes good work by Luke Penberthy on the right saw him create space before sending a flashing shot across the Watchet goal.

The play was end to end with the home side having the chance to go into the lead with five minutes of the first half remaining when a James Springett free kick found Scott Fisher at the far post but the resultant header thudded against the upright and away to safety. Immediately Nailsea conceded the opening goal when they failed to clear a ball which ended with an own goal. The defence had two chances to cut out the danger but failed to do so.

Half Time. Nailsea United 0  Watchet Town 1

An even first half with the home side again conceding in sight of the break. However, they showed that they could get something from the game with 45 minutes remaining.

At the start of the second half Will Hodges was replaced by Ricky Jeffries on the right. Nailsea could have gone two down within five minutes of the restart only to be saved by a timely tackle by Scott Fisher as the Watchet forward bore down on goal. This respite was short lived as Watchet scored their second goal on 55 minutes. The visitors worked the ball down the left ending with a cross which Mark Iles could only cushion into the patch of a Watchet player who finished well curling the ball just inside the right upright.

Nailsea were then indebted to Owen Adamson who smothered a shot when The visitors were through on goal. On 60 minutes Joe Sharps was replaced by Sam Olsen. Watchet again came close when a deflected shot spun past the post. A further chance fell to Nailsea on 68 minutes when another accurate free kick from James Springett was met by Rob Brown but his header had no power.

The final substitution was made on 70 minutes with Liam Lester replacing Mark Iles. United then began to take charge reducing the deficit to one goal on 73 minutes when James Springett found Ricky Jeffries on the right who did well to make space before delivering a ball into the middle where Sam Olsen made good contact to fire home.

The rest of the match saw Nailsea on the attack looking for the equaliser, although they created chances the vital final touch was missing. With the official who had a good game looking at his watch Ben Pratt sent a rocket of a shot goal wards only to see the Watchet keeper bring off a spectacular save.

Final Score. Nailsea United 1  Watchet Town 2

Nailsea could perhaps think that they were unlucky not to share the points after conceding an own goal and what could be described as a “cheap” goal but in the end too many missed chances or half chances were missed.

Next Week they travel to Watchet again this time in the League Cup. They will know that they can match the West Somerset side with more clinical finishing. At The Grove the A”A team host Westend with the “B” team entertain St George EIG Reserves. Kick Off 2.30pm.