April 25, 2016

Nailsea United 2-0 Odd Down Reserves

On Saturday United welcomed third placed Odd Down Reserves to The Grove as the home team looked to continue their unbeaten run which has taken them to the top half of the table. In the absence of Josh Dann, the versatile Rob Brown would play in goal.

The opening few minutes saw no great action as both sides looked to settle in and get used to the gusty conditions. Then on eight minutes Nailsea were awarded a corner on the left. As usual Alex Goodwin took the high looping kick which completely deceived the Odd Down keeper to find the back of the net despite the vain attempt of the keeper to retrieve the ball.

Nailsea were the more positive of the two sides with a move on 14 minutes involving James Springett and Jim Lee who fed Adam Bell but the latter could not generate any power in his shot. The United goal was rarely troubled but any efforts were dealt with comfortably by the defence with the able Rob Brown not called upon.

On the half an hour mark Adam Bell had his snap shot covered by the keeper as neither side could muster a really threatening attack. Five minutes before half time Nailsea were forced to reorganise when Sol Wanjou Smith left the field with an injury to be replaced by James Taylor.

Half Time. Nailsea United 1 Odd Down Reserves 0

Minutes into the second half the visitors had a golden opportunity to equalise but the chance was spurned when the header from close range was sent wide of the goal. Minutes later United had the chance to double their lead when Adam Bell was put through but the normally composed striker just let the ball run too far in front of him before striking his shot straight at the keeper.

Odd Down were still very much in the game as they again finished badly when a long kick by their keeper opened up the Nailsea defence. The game swung from end to end with Nailsea having a half chance minutes later when Adam Bell and Matt Long combined with Long unable to strike a difficult chance on target.

With 15 minutes remaining the ball was worked by United from right to left in a neat passing movement allowing James Springett to shoot but his effort soared over the bar. The next chance fell to Adam Bell who received the ball from Matt Long on the right but although his shot was on target it was saved by the near post. Then followed a deep cross from midfield by Alex Goodwin which was met by the head of Matt Long only to see the ball rise over the bar.

United then made a second substitution with Mark Iles being replaced by Steve Lester. Odd Down were reduced to ten men when their striker lashed out a Matt Long leaving the official no option but to show the red card. With the referee looking at his watch Steve Lester was bundled over just outside of the penalty area in a central position. Adam Bell took responsibility with the resultant free kick, picking a spot just inside of the right hand post which was in the net before the keeper could move.

Final Score. Nailsea United 2 Odd Down Reserves 0.

Another three points for the home side as their unbeaten run continues, this time against a side riding high in the league. Nailsea are now in seventh position in the league, one wonders what could have happened if their current form was shown earlier in the season.

On Tuesday night, April 26th United visit Fryth Way for the return local derby against champions elect Nailsea and Tickenham. Kick Off 6.30pm. The following Saturday April 29th they entertain Dundry Athletic at The Grove. Kick Off 3.00pm.

Finally, unfortunately I was unable to cover last week’s match at Staplegrove. An independent source tells me that the goal scored by Jimmy Wring was worthy of “goal of the season”. That’s what you said Jim wasn’t it?