October 28, 2018

Nailsea United 2 Middlezoy Rovers 2

It was the inform Middlezoy Rovers side that were the visitors to The Grove on Saturday. The pitch was in great condition but the elements conspired against both sides with heavy rain and winds to contend with.

The visitors immediately took the game to Nailsea looking for an early goal but the home side weathered the storm to begin to put their passes together. On 15 minutes a promising move saw Henry Symonds break down the wing but his cross was picked up by the keeper. Then Luis Parnham and Symonds combined well only to see the resultant cross again claimed by the keeper.

With half an hour gone Nailsea were awarded a free kick just to the left of centre field, James Springett took responsibility sending the ball into the Middlezoy goal area where it fell to Sam Olsen who made no mistake in finding the back of the net to give his side the lead. Both teams were trying to play good football in difficult conditions with a flowing move by United on 37 minutes from right to left saw Ben Pratt fire just over the bar.

The Nailsea defence were coping well with the opposing forward line but were lucky to see a golden chance to a Middlezoy player being headed over the bar with five minutes of the half remaining.

Half Time. Nailsea United 1  Middlezoy Rovers 0

An even game of football but with the visitors having the wind in their favour in the second half, United would have some defending to do.

Just three minutes into the second half United were dealt a blow when influential midfield player James Springett was forced to leave the field through injury to be replaced by Matt Thomas. Ben Pratt tried his luck on 50 minutes with a long shot that was saved by the keeper. The visitors were using the conditions to their advantage forcing Nailsea keeper Jack Smith to turn a free kick around the post for a corner. Relief was short lived for the home side as the corner was not cleared allowing Middlezoy to equalise.

However, three minutes later Nailsea put together a neat bout of passing with the ball eventually being fed to the left where Ben Pratt shot past the keeper to restore the advantage to Nailsea.  With 20 minutes remaining Joe Sharps sent in a snap shot which the keeper gathered. It was now all hands to the pumps as Middlezoy continued to attack looking for the equaliser. With ten minutes remaining Henry Symonds was replaced by Will Hodges. The United goal was leading a charmed life with a goalmouth scramble which looked to see the equaliser was somehow cleared to safety. It was in the fifth minute of added time that Middlezoy finally breeched the Nailsea defence with a shot from their right beating Smith to nestle in the back of the Nailsea net.

Full Time. Nailsea United 2  Middlezoy Rovers 2

This was an entertaining game in spite of the conditions with a draw probably the correct result although when you concede with only seconds remaining it actually feels like a defeat. Nailsea can take heart from this display against a good Middlezoy side.

 Next week November 3rd United travel to basement side Odd Down Reserves. Kick Off 2.30pm.

At The Grove the Reserves entertain Somerton Town Reserves. Kick Off 2.30pm. Other games at The Grove see the”A” team host  Axbridge Town a cup game. Kick Off 2.15pm with the”B” side playing Wrington Redhill Reserves. Kick Off 2.30pm.