October 21, 2018

Nailsea United 3 Clevedon United 1

Near neighbours Clevedon United were the visitors to The Grove on Saturday. Clevedon have made the better start to the league programme of the two sides so it was a good opportunity for the home side to build on last week’s display at Shirehampton as they climb the table.

With four minutes played a Nailsea attack down the right saw Will Symonds find Matt Day in a good position but he could not get the control he wanted to cause the keeper problems. On 12 minutes a Clevedon attack required Jack Smith to save with his feet as the visitors took the game to Nailsea. Five minutes later a Will Symonds corner gave Joe Sharps a clear chance to open the scoring but his header was just over the bar.

It was against the run of play that Nailsea opened the scoring on 19 minutes. A ball out to the right wing saw Matt Day leave his marker stranded with a burst of speed before sending a low cross towards the near post where Sam Olsen cleverly tucked the ball under the Clevedon keeper to put his side in front.

Clevedon had the chance to equalise on the half an hour mark with a free header from a corner but the ball went wide of the Nailsea goal. The game ebbed and flowed for the last 15 minutes of the half but no further goal chanced were created.

Half Time. Nailsea United 1 Clevedon United 0

This was a fairly even half with the solitary Nailsea goal the difference between the two sides.

It was the visitors that stated the stronger after the break and it was no surprise when the scored the equaliser on 48 minutes through a long ball that was not cut out allowing a Clevedon player to find the Nailsea net. The Nailsea defence then became under intense pressure as Clevedon looked to take the lead but the home side weathered the storm. As in the first half the second Nailsea goal came against the run of play on 64 minutes. Joe Sharps weaved his way through the Clevedon defence but his shot was blocked only for an alert Matt Day to react first to slot the rebound past the keeper to restore the Nailsea lead.

The home side sensed that a third goal would make the game safe and sure enough this came just four minutes later from a James Springett corner from the right. As usual his delivery was good sending the ball beyond the far post where Sam Olsen headed it back into the middle of the goal where Adam Marsden made no mistake heading past the keeper from close range.

With 20 minutes to go Nailsea made their first change with Henry Symonds giving way to Ben Barratt. The substitute nearly made a grand entrance as he created space for himself but the resultant shot was sent just wide of the post. The second Nailsea change on 76 minutes saw the injured James Springett being replaced by Rob Brown.

With eight minutes remaining another Matt Day foray this time down the left saw him pull the ball back into the danger area but none of his colleagues could take advantage. A minute later a Ben Barratt corner was met powerfully by the head of Rob Brown but the ball sales wide of the target.

With the referee looking at his watch the last Nailsea change was made with James Taylor replacing the hard working Matt Day. Although Day leads the attack very well with an eye for goal he uses his football knowledge to find wide positions from where he can send searching balls into the danger area creating chances for his teammates, another good all round performance from him.

Full Time. Nailsea United 3  Clevedon United 1

A well deserved three points for the home side against a Clevedon side which are always dangerous. Next week Nailsea are at home again hosting Middlezoy Rovers. Kick Off 3.00pm.

In other results the Reserves and the”A” teams drew but the latter remain at the top of their league. The “B” side were defeated but the Colts gained their second win of the season.