August 25, 2019

Nailsea United 3 Westfield 3

On a very warm afternoon United played hosts to Westfield. After the opening two games of the season Nailsea remain undefeated, could they continue the run today?

Westfield dictated the opening minutes but it was the home side that had the first scoring chance when Adam Marsden was put through but the Westfield keeper smothered his shot.

Nailsea did not have to wait long to open the scoring. On ten minutes a good passing movement involving Brad Cogan and Ryan Ford saw the latter slide the ball through to Matt Day who shot past the keeper to give his side the lead.

The visitors always looked dangerous particularly down both flanks and were unlucky to see a shot strike the upright on 15 minutes. Further Westfield attacks saw Rob Brown save well but the pressure finally told on 20 minutes when a Westfield cross from the right was bundled over the line for the equaliser.

Five minutes later Nailsea conceded goal number two when another cross from the right was not held by Rob Brown giving a simple tap in to the visiting attacker. On 25 minutes Nailsea had to reshuffle when the injured Brad Cogan was replaced by Will Hodges.

 The last ten minutes of the half were full of action with Westfield seeing the ball rebound from the Nailsea crossbar to safety before United equalised on 42 minutes. James Springett sent over his usual accurate corner from the right to find Mike Rowcliffe who headed beyond the keeper to bring the scores level.

 With the official looking at his watch Nailsea gained a another corner this time from the left, again Springett was the taker and again Mike Rowcliffe out jumped the defence to plant the ball into the Westfield net with a well placed header to ensure his side went into the break in front.

Half Time. Nailsea United 3  Westfield 2

This was a good game to watch in difficult conditions for the players with United striking twice from dead ball positions.

The second half started with United giving the ball away which could have had been costly but the ensuing shot went wide. Just five minutes into the half Nailsea lost their second defender when Tom Richens was forced to leave the field to be replaced by Matt Thomas. A change of formation saw striker Nathan Shipway move back into defence.

With ten minutes of the half gone a deep cross from the left by Matt Thomas found Will Hodges but he was unable to get the strike he wanted. Westfield were now having the better of the play with Rob Brown called upon to palm away at shot from the right on 80 minutes.

Matt Thomas then had half a chance to put daylight between the two sides on 82 minutes when he fastened onto a through ball but could not convert. Minutes later a cross from the right from by Mike Rowcliffe was seized upon by Matt Day only to see his effort go for a corner.

Then deep into added time Nailsea made the cardinal sin when trying to protect a lead by losing control of the ball allowing Westfield to move down their left to fire across Rob Brown for the equaliser which turned out to be the last kick of the match.

Final Score. Nailsea United 3  Westfield 3

Nailsea preserve their unbeaten run but to concede such a late goal feels like a defeat as opposed to a draw. Both teams are to be congratulated on providing a well contested match in torrid conditions.

Next week August 31st Nailsea are at home again to Ilminster Town. Kick Off 3.00pm.

In other matches the Reserves suffered a heavy defeat away to Banwell going down 8-2.