September 29, 2018

Nailsea United 3 Wrington Redhill 1


On a warm sunny afternoon United welcomed Wrington Redhill to The Grove. The home side were looking to carry forward their good display last week at Watchet to climb away from the lower part of the league.

The home crowd did not have long to wait to greet a Nailsea goal as just five minutes into the match a Ben Pratt free kick saw Matt Day challenge for the ball causing a ricochet which ended with the ball in the back of the Wrington net to give Nailsea the lead.

United were looking to take control with a clever run by Will Symonds ending with a corner which was cleared. After 30 minutes Wrington had a corner from the right which was met firmly by a visiting player, the ball was bound for the the top corner before Jack Smith clawed it away with a good reaction save.

At this stage the visitors were having their best spell but could not force home their advantage. On 35 minutes good control by the hard working Matt Day saw him drill a fine low cross but his fellow forwards could not get on the end to slot the ball home. But five minutes later it was Day again who fought well for the ball before sending a reverse pass to Sam Olsen who slipped the ball past the keeper with his usual confidence to double the Nailsea lead.

The last five minutes of the half saw a Adam Marsden snap shot well saved by the keeper as United went in two goals to the good.

Half Time.  Nailsea United 2  Wrington Redhill 0

This was a case of one side taking advantage when they were on top with the visitors unable to capitalise on their good possession.

It was Wrington who started the second half the stronger but again could not break down the United defence. In fact it was the home side that came closest to scoring on 60 minutes when Adam Marsden fed Luis Parnham on the right only to see his effort drift just wide of the far post. On 65 minutes Nailsea made the first change with Joe Sharps being replaced by Matt Thomas.

Nailsea gained clear daylight between the two teams in the 68th minute when the ball was worked down the right flank to Matt Day who picked out Will Symonds in the middle. One touch to steady himself before firing past the Wrington keeper for the youngster to score his first goal in senior football. I am sure there will be many more to come.

Five minutes later goal scorer Will Symonds was replaced by Ben Barrett on the left wing. The last United change was made with 15 minutes to go with Adam Marsden giving way to Tom Weaver. Nailsea continued to press nearly adding to their goal tally with ten minutes to go when the ball was worked to Sam Olsen who picked out Tom Weaver to the left hand side of the goal but his strong shot was deflected for a corner.

Finally Wrington got onto the score sheet with a penalty on 86 minutes which was brilliantly saved by Jack Smith only to see a Wrington player pounce on to the rebound to find the back of the net.

Final Score. Nailsea United 3  Wrington Redhill 1

This was a workmanlike display from Nailsea against a willing Wrington side. Next week United are home to Castle Cary in the second round of The Somerset Senior Cup. Please note early kick off time of 2.00pm. With their improved form the home side will look to take their place in the next round although Castle Cary may have other ideas.