January 26, 2020

Nailsea United 4 Middlezoy Rovers 2

Following their midweek win at Chard, United were looking to extend their run of good form with the visit of Middlezoy Rovers on Saturday. With the Rovers holding second place in the league this fixture would test the United squad.

Within three minutes Nailsea had taken the lead with Stuart Lee guiding a James Springett free kick from the left into the Middlezoy net with his head. Nailsea were all over the visitors and it was no surprise when they doubled their lead on ten minutes with Stuart Lee again the scorer with a low shot just inside of the Rovers post.

The home side were playing high tempo football whilst closing down quickly when the Rovers had the ball forcing them into hurried clearances. United had the chance to go three up on 16 minutes when Lee once again had a chance but this time his connection was not good with the Rovers keeper able to gather.

Surprised by the Nailsea start Middlezoy then began to show why they are so highly placed in the league finding their men which culminated in a well worked goal on 20 minutes to bring the deficit to one goal. On the half an hour mark James Springett tried a shot from distance which was wide.

On 35 minutes a great ball out of defence by Tom Richens found Stuart Lee wide of the goal on the left flank, however Lee saw the keeper advancing to coolly lift the ball into the empty net for his hat trick to put daylight between the two sides.

Half Time.  Nailsea United 3 Middlezoy Rovers 1

An excellent first half of football between two football playing sides with Nailsea just shading the half.

As you would expect with the pedigree of the Rovers side they immediately took the game to Nailsea as they sought to reduce the arrears. Within two minutes of the restart they made their intentions clear with an attack down the right which ended with the ball whistling past the Nailsea far post. Two minutes later Nailsea had the chance to extend their lead when a James Springett corner from the right found Mike Rowcliffe beyond the far post who guided the ball into the middle where Stuart Lee was unable to keep his volley down with the ball going over the bar.

On 53 minutes Nailsea made their first change when Matt Thomas replaced the injured Ryan Ford. A minute later it was game on again when Rovers forced the ball over the line following a goal mouth scramble. The visitors now sensed an equaliser as they stretched the United defence but with Tom Richens in commanding form United held firm.

With 15 minutes remaining a Springett corner from the right was met by the head of Stuart Lee but this time the three goal hero could not find the net. This miss was not as costly as it could have been as within a minute Nailsea were awarded a penalty. Matt Day took responsibility scoring from the rebound as the keeper parried his first kick.

On 77 minutes Nailsea looked to bolster the defence with Matt Day being replaced by Cameron Henderson. Although Middlezoy attacked strongly in the remaining ten minutes Nailsea were not going to give away a well earned victory.

Final Score. Nailsea United 4 Middlezoy Rovers 2

Nailsea maintained their recent good form now with a settled side that beat a very good Middlezoy side with a Stuart Lee scoring a well earned hat trick.

Next week, United travel to play Keynsham Town Reserves with a 2.30 kick off.

In other results it was a clean sweep for all five of the Nailsea United teams showing the quality in depth the club now has.

Tunley 1  Nailsea United Reserves 5

Winscombe A 2 Nailsea United A 4

Worle Rangers 2 Nailsea United B 4

Clevedon United A 4  Nailsea United C  5

Finally, next week at The Grove the Reserves host top of the table Chew Magna. Kick Off 2.30. At the same venue the “B” side play Yatton & Cleeve. Kick off 2.30pm with the “C” team hosting Weston Celtic. Kick Off 2.30pm