December 2, 2017

Stockwood Green 1 Nailsea United 1


It was back to league action for United as they travelled to draw specialists Stockwood Green in South Bristol.

The home side had the better of the early exchanges firing a shot over the bar after four minutes. Nailsea keeper Owen Adamson saved at full stretch on 20 minutes as Stockwood pressed forward.

Nailsea gradually began to make an Impression taking the lead on 30 minutes. Ben Pratt did very well to dig out a quality cross from the left which went beyond the far post where James Springett showed all of his experience to cushion a header to Stuart lee who made a good connection to head the ball into the top corner for a fine goal to finish off a fine move.

Nailsea held the lead for only five minutes as Stockwood broke away leaving their attacker to slide the ball past the out rushing Adamson to net the equaliser. The final 15 minutes of the half saw no clear goal chances to either side as the pitch began to cut up badly making passing somewhat of a lottery.

Half Time.  Stockwood Green 1 Nailsea United 1

An even first half as the score suggests with perhaps the home side finishing the stronger.

As in the first half the home side were quickest out of the blocks with United having to be aware of their route one quick breaks. On 60 minutes keeper Owen Adamson kept his side from going behind by making a good save as Stockwood attacked dangerously. Nailsea then made a number of changes in the space of ten minutes starting in the 70th minute with Sam Olsen being replaced by Joe Sharps to be followed by Stuart Lee and Lee Cook being replaced by Mark iles and Ryan Ford respectively.

If there was going to be a decider the visitors looked the more likely with Nathan Shipway firing wide with a half chance eight minutes from time. With three minutes remaining Own Adamson again did well to save in a one on one situation. With the pitch becoming more and more difficult neither side could muster another attack before the referee called time.

Full Time. Stockwood Green 1  Nailsea United 1

United could perhaps feel that they let three points slip away from them but in the end had to settle for just one. This was Stockwood’s tenth draw of the season out of thirteen games so the result could have been expected.

Next week the first team are without a fixture. At The Grove the Reserves host Winscombe Reserves. Kick Off 2.00pm.