February 25, 2018

Stockwood Wanderers 0 Nailsea United 0


It was a trip to South Bristol for United on Saturday as they visited Stockwood Wanderers in a clash of mid table sides. The pitch was the firmest that either side had played on for several weeks but the surface was bobbly.

United were kicking into the wind in the first half with the home side dominating the early proceedings. On 15 minutes a speculative shot from Stockwood was too high with ten minutes later a second chance saw them head over the bar from a deep cross.

Nailsea gradually started to get into the game with Luke Pemberthy trying his luck on 34 minutes but did not trouble the home keeper. Three minutes later a slick move saw the ball worked to the right where Ross Probert crossed for Luke Pemberthy to connect with a glancing header which evaded the keeper but rebounded from the far post before being cleared.

With time in the first half running out, Stockwood cut through the Nailsea defence forcing a good save from Owen Adamson. Immediately United responded with a well taken free kick by Ben Pratt finding the head of Stuart Lee but his effort was gathered by the keeper.

Half Time. Stockwood Wanderers 0  Nailsea United 0

The first 45 minutes saw the Bristol club bossing the first half an hour when Nailsea rode their luck but United finished strongly.

The home side were into their stride from the restart with Adamson palming away a well struck shot inside the first minute. On 50 minutes Luke Pemberthy worked his way down the left flank but the end product flew wide of the target. The home side were always looking dangerous coming close to opening the score on 60 minutes when following a corner a volley whistled over the United bar.

Both defences were able to contain their opponents attacks so most of the play was in midfield. Stuart Lee had a long shot on goal on 67 minutes but saw the home keeper save at the near post. On 70 minutes Ross Prosser who was returning after a ham string injury was replaced by Tom Weaver.

Perhaps the best United chance came in the last minute when another well placed free kick by Ben Pratt was headed on by Stuart Lee to Luke Penberthy on the right who cut in before unleashing a shot which was wide of the target.

Final Score. Stockwood Wanderers 0  Nailsea United 0

This was perhaps a fitting score line for a match that was played in a bitingly cold wind with both sides looking to reach the sanctuary of a warm dressing room.

Next week March 3rd United travel to Worle in the Quarter Finals of The Somerset Senior Cup. Kick Off 2.30pm. Although Worle are a league below Nailsea they are having a particularly strong season.

At The Grove the Reserves entertain third placed Chew Magna in a 3.00pm Kick Off. Also at home are the “A” side who play Westend in a cup match with a 2.30 pm start.