January 26, 2019

Stockwood Wanderers 2 Nailsea United 3

United were on the road again this time to South Bristol to play Stockwood Wanderers. The Nailsea side have shown good improvement over the past few games, could they continue the run today?

The first real scoring chance fell to United with Sam Olsen on seven minutes bearing down on the keeper but on this occasion the keeper cleared the danger. Three minutes later the home side took the lead with a shot from the edge of the penalty area which found the back of the Nailsea net with keeper Jack Smith just a spectator.

The game ebbed and flowed with Stockwood nearly doubling their lead on 15 minutes but this time the shot was wide. On 23 minutes Nailsea got back on level terms when a good cross from the left was not cleared by the home defence to allow Adam Marsden to stab home from close range.

With half an hour gone Matt Day tried his luck with a free kick from distance, although his effort had the power the direction was a little wayward. Stockwood were always dangerous with Jack Smith saving well on 35 minutes from a long range effort which was bound for goal. On 40 minutes Nailsea were dealt a blow with influential defender Rob Brown suffering a hamstring injury to be replaced by the experienced Tom Richens.

Half Time.  Stockwood Wanderers 1  Nailsea United 1

An even half of football with both sides closely matched.

Stockwood had the first opportunity of the second half to take the lead but a headed effort from a corner was sent wide. United retaliated with Stuart Lee seeing his free kick drift wide. On 58 minutes a good Nailsea attack opened the home defence but Matt Day could not get the power he required to trouble the keeper. The Nailsea pressure was rewarded two minutes later when Matt Thomas took a throw in on the left to Tom Richens who sent a tempting cross deep into the Stockwood goal area where Stuart Lee showed his power in the air to plant his header wide of the keeper to give his side the lead.

It took only another five minutes for United to put clear daylight between the two sides with their third goal. Sam Olsen and Matt Thomas combined well to set up a chance which Thomas took well beating the keeper on the angle with a crisp shot.

Nailsea suffered a further injury when another central defender Adam Marsden gave way to Ben Pinkney. Nailsea reorganised with Stuart Lee moving to the back line. With ten minutes to go Stockwood brought themselves back into the game with a well taken free kick sent beyond Jack Smith. The Nailsea defence then came under pressure but they stood strong with emergency defender Stuart Lee winning everything in the air. With two minutes of time remaining a typical mazy run by Ben Barrett gave himself a sight of goal but his shot was just wide.

Full Time. Stockwood Wanderers 2 Nailsea United 3

This was a hard fought three points for Nailsea against a useful Stockwood side. The good run continues. Hopefully the injuries to Brown and Marsden will not be too serious. Next week United are at home to Westfield who they defeated earlier in the season. Kick Off 2.30pm.