November 25, 2018

Westfield 1 Nailsea United 2

United returned to league action following their cup defeat last week when they travelled to newly promoted Westfield on the outskirts of Midsomer Norton. There was a welcome return to mid fielder James Springett after injury.

Nailsea had slightly the better of the early exchanges taking the lead on ten minutes. A neat move down the left saw Matt Day cut in before releasing the ball to Sam Olsen who guided it into the Westfield net for the opening goal.

Westfield responded to be given a chance two minutes later when Nailsea keeper Jack Smith spilled a shot but the Westfield attacker could only volley the rebound over the bar. The Nailsea goal was leading a charmed life when a Westfield shot from distance cannoned off of the underside of the bar to bounce down but not over the line to be cleared to safety.

On the half an hour mark United striker Matt Day fastened onto a loose ball but his shot was gathered by the home keeper. Westfield continued to pose problems for United with several more chances missed that could be costly after 90 minutes.

Nailsea then countered in the last ten minutes of the half with a good move between Matt Day and Ben Barrett saw the latter shoot only for the keeper to save with his feet. The same two players created the final chance of the first half with a strong run by Barrett giving Matt Day an opportunity but again the keeper was in the right position to gather.

Half Time.  Westfield 0  Nailsea United 1

United went in with a one goal lead taking their chance early but the score could have been very different if Westfield had more composure in front of goal. The latter part of the half saw Ben Barrett begin to have an influence on the game which could be vital in the second half.

It took Westfield just ten minutes to finally get onto the score sheet when they equalised with a low shot. On 65 minutes Nailsea made their first change with Ciaran Price replacing Ben Pratt on the left side of defence. Two minutes later the Matt Day and Ben Barrett combination nearly worked again with Barrett creating space for a shot which went wide.

On 67 minutes Luis Parnham was replaced by Rob Brown. Westfield were still looking dangerous with a shot on 70 minutes which fizzed just wide of the United upright.

With 12 minutes remaining Ben Barrett finally made his controlled running tell when he left his marker  in his wake down the right before sending the ball across the edge of the penalty area where the incoming Will Symonds took his opportunity well to find the back of the Westfield net to regain the lead for his side. A well constructed goal finished in style.

With eight minutes remaining the final Nailsea substitution was made with Matt Thomas being replaced by Joe Sharps. There was still time for another mazy run by Ben Barrett which did not have the finish he wanted before the referee brought the game to an end in the gathering gloom.

Final Score. Westfield 1  Nailsea United 2

A welcome three points to Nailsea as they continued their improved league form although they rode their luck on occasions particularly in the first half.  

A mention must be made of the contribution of Ben Barrett who simply could not be contained by the Westfield defence with his pace and close control, just a little bit more composure in front of goal would see his name regularly on the score sheet.

Next week United are at home to Ilminster Town. Please note that the Kick Off is at 2.00pm