November 3, 2019

Westfield 6 Nailsea United 2


In the only game in the Premier Division of the County league to survive the weather Nailsea travelled to Westfield on a very wet afternoon. The pitch although obviously soft was very playable. The United squad was depleted due to injuries and non availabilities with Rob Prior drafting in two young players from the colts.

Westfield set their stall out from the start feeding their swift wide men to get behind the Nailsea defence for dangerous crosses into the middle. The home side could have scored in the first few minutes when Rob Brown slipped but Westfield were unable to capitalise. It took ten minutes for the Westfield game plan to bear fruit with a cross from their right which was met with a firm header giving Rob Brown no chance for the opening goal.

Five minutes later it was a shot from distance that evaded Brown to double the home sides lead. Nailsea retaliated with a snap shot from Will Hodges just wide. On 20 minutes Rob Brown did well to stop goal number three as Westfield relentlessly attacked. The third goal came again from a ball from the flanks which was drilled home with a low shot into the corner.

United kept trying to break down the home defence and were unlucky on 30 minutes when a James Springett free kick fell to Matt Day whose powerful volley was just inches wide. Three minutes later Matt Day made no mistake with the opening Nailsea goal seizing on a pass from Ryan Ford to slip the ball past the keeper to give Nailsea a toehold on the game.

However, Nailsea belief was short lived as Westfield scored immediately from the restart to restore their three goal lead. As half timed beckoned Matt Day found Will Hodges who was unlucky to see his shot rebound from the post to safety.

Half Time. Westfield 5 Nailsea United 1

With match probably beyond them it was only pride that Nailsea had to play for in the second half.

The first few minutes of the second half were even with a James Springett free kick headed towards goal by Nathan Shipway but it was easily gathered by the home keeper. Westfield still had the momentum with Rob Brown doing well to stop them adding to their goal tally.

On 62 minutes the first of the colts side was brought onto the field for his first team debut when Ewan Williams replaced Will Hodges. Two minutes later Nailsea reduced the arrears when Matt Day forced his way through the Westfield defence giving Sam Olsen the chance to score the second goal for United.

With 20 minutes to go the second Nailsea change was made with Henry Symonds replacing Sam Olsen. Nailsea were competing well restricting the Westfield attack with Rob Brown making good blocks when needed. With ten minutes remaining Nailsea made their last change with James Taylor being replaced by Josh Hann another colts player.

Finally with two minutes of the game remaining the home side breeched the Nailsea defence to score goal number six.

Final Score. Westfield 6  Nailsea United 2

Nailsea were soundly beaten by a good Westfield side that played to their strengths moving the ball quickly to their fleet footed wingers who caused most of the damage. It is a credit to Nailsea and particularly the very young players in the side that they never gave in and matched Westfield for goals scored in the second half.

United have a revised fixture next week, now home to Mendip Broadwalk. Kick Off 2.30pm.  Rob Prior and James Taylor hoping that they will  have a full squad to pick from with those Injured being available for selection