March 17, 2018

Worle 2 Nailsea United 1


After two postponements due to the weather Nailsea finally got underway with the Quarter Final of The Somerset Senior Cup fixture away against Worle. Although the home side are in the division below Nailsea they have only lost twice this season.

The match was to be played in difficult conditions with a strong wind and a boggy pitch particularly at one end which made defending something of a lottery.

United kicked off with the wind slightly behind them and took the game immediately to the home side. On eight minutes a cross from the left found Sam Olsen unmarked but on this occasion he could find the target. However he only had to wait a further seven minutes to get his name on the score sheet. A long free kick by Rob Brown was won in the air by Stuart Lee who guided the ball back to Sam Olsen who this time made no mistake in firing past the Worle keeper.

Worle then began to show why they are having such a good season mounting several attacks which tested Owen Adamson to which he was equal. On 35 minutes a quick break saw Luke Penberthy feed Ben Pratt on the left but his shot was gathered by the keeper. The home side were finishing strongly with Adamson again keeping the score line unchanged with good saves.

Half Time. Worle 0  Nailsea United 1

With the elements in the home sides favour in the second half the Nailsea faithful were wondering if the single goal scored would be enough at the end of 90 minutes.

Worle showed their intentions from the restart with an attack that ended with an off target shot. On 50 minutes a clever free kick by Rob Brown saw Luke Penberthy intelligently pick up the ball and run towards the home goal but he pulled his shot across the goal face.

On 58 minutes the Worle pressure was rewarded when a cross from their right was slid home from close range for the equaliser. United then made two substitutions within ten minutes with Sam Olsen and Ross Probert being replaced by Adam Marsden and Kin respectively as they tried to get a hold on the game.

The home side now had the momentum and took the lead on 71 minutes with a shot from their right flank that eluded Adamson to find the back of the net.  With the last throw of the dice Ben Pratt was replaced by Louis Parnham.

Nailsea were restricted to dead ball situations as they sought the equaliser but the home defence stood strong before the official brought the game to a close.

Final Score. Worle 2 Nailsea United 1

And so it is the Worle name that goes into the hat for the Semi Final draw leaving Nailsea to continue with their league programme. We hope that the next few weeks see the pitches firm up which are more conducive to the Nailsea style of play.

Next Saturday March 24th, United are at home to Middlezoy Rovers looking to reverse the defeat by a single goal at Middlezoy earlier on in the season. Kick Off 3.00pm.

Finally at least one Nailsea side progressed into the next round of the cup with the “A” side defeating Westend by four goals to three in the League Knockout Cup. Congratulations to them.