April 13, 2016

Wrington Redhill 0-1 Nailsea United

For the first evening match of which will be a very busy end of season programme Nailsea travelled to Wrington Redhill on Tuesday April 12th.

Wrington were the quickest out of the blocks with an angled shot passing over the United bar on two minutes. A large part of the first half was played with both defences on top meaning very little goalmouth action. In the last ten minutes of the half Nailsea had more of the ball with the Wrington keeper having to deal with accurate corners delivered by Adam Bell and Alex Goodwin.

With 5 minutes of the half remaining George King rolled the ball to Mark Iles who saw his first time shot rise over the bar. The last piece of action saw a Alex Goodwin free kick headed wide by Matt Long from a difficult angle.

Half Time. Wrington Redhill 0 Nailsea United 0

No goals but Nailsea finished the stronger side with all to play for in the second half.

As at the start of the first half, the home side had a half chance straight from the restart but the ball went wide. United then began to take the game to Wrington with Rob Attwood having a speculative shot on 62 minutes which the home keeper covered. With the momentum in their favour Nailsea continued to stretch the home defence. A good passing movement between George King and Matt Long saw the latter firing wide from the left.

On 65 minutes United were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal, King took responsibility bring a fine save from the keeper as the ball was targeting the bottom corner of the net. United were now creating good chances with Attwood making space for himself with 20 minutes remaining but the end product was sent wide. Five minutes later King and Long combined well creating a teasing cross which Adam Bell was only inches away from a connection.

Finally, United received the success which their approach play deserved with what turned out to be the winning goal with less than 15 minutes remaining. Once again Wrington were forced to concede a free kick midway into their half. James Springett decided with the goalmouth packed to send a pinpoint kick to the left of the Wrington goal where his target James Taylor used his heading ability to steer the ball to Adam Bell who controlled, turned and shot all in one movement to find the corner of the net. A very well constructed goal perfectly executed.

Nailsea then replaced Rob Attwood who had a fine game with Jimmy Wring for the last few minutes. The Nailsea camp had their hearts in their mouths when with five minutes remaining the

dangerous Graham Cheeseman got away for the first time in the match to bring a fine save from Josh Dann pushing the Wrington striker’s shot to safety.

Final Score. Wrington Redhill 0 Nailsea United 1

This was a fine performance by United with the defence looking particularly strong against a good home side that were second best for the majority of the second half.

Next week brings a batch of fixtures at The Grove starting with United entertaining Yatton Athletic on Tuesday April 19th. Kick Off 6.30pm. Please refer to the club website to see the complete list of fixtures at The Grove.