April 22, 2018

Wrington Redhill 1 Nailsea United 1

With no chance of honours this season previous Champions Nailsea United were looking towards the future with Manager Chris Adamson running the rule over some of the younger players at the club. Already given starts in the senior side have been Luis Parnham and Ryan Ford both of whom have acquitted themselves well.

Although United are not in the running they will have a say in who actually finishes as Champions this season as they have to play top teams  Chilcompton Sports and Nailsea & Tickenham before the end of the season both of which they have already beaten this season.

Nailsea were on the pace straight away with Ryan Ford finding Harry Hope on the left who in turn played in Adam Marsden, his low shot was just wide of the far post. Although United were having more of the ball it was Wrington that took the lead on eight minutes. Owen Adamson could not hold a close range shot with the rebound eagerly fired home to give the home side the lead.

United reacted immediately from a James Springett free kick which was headed back into the goal area by Ben Pinkney but Adam Marsden could not get enough power into his header. The visitors continued to press with a shot come pass from Harry Hope just flashing past the post on 20 minutes. Next it was a good run by Joe Sharps which gave a chance to Luis Parnham but once again the shot was just off target.

Nailsea were virtually camped out in the Wrington half but resolute defending stopped them getting the equaliser. Efforts by Parnham and Hope were close but not close enough.

Half Time Wrington Redhill 1  Nailsea United 0

A half dominated by Nailsea but the home side made use of the one real chance they had to go into the break in the lead.

The second half started as the first half ended with Nailsea taking the game to Wrington. On 52 minutes Nailsea made their first change with Ben Pinkney being replaced by Luke Penberthy at the head of the attack. This was quickly followed by a double substitution with Ryan Ford and Ross Probert being replaced by Kin and debutant Sam Iles.

Finally, the unrelenting pressure was rewarded on 58 minutes when a long ball by Scott Fisher was chased down by Adam Marsden who created pressure on the Wrington keeper for the ball to fall at the feet of Luke Penberthy who coolly struck the ball into the Wrington net. Harry Hope was causing the home defence problems with his close control but his shots were being charged down or going wide of the goal. With ten minutes remaining a weaving run by Adam Marsden gave him a sight on goal but once again the home keeper was untroubled.

With five minutes remaining perhaps the best chance came to Nailsea following a long kick by Owen Adamson which was controlled by Luke Penberthy who played in Harry Hope but on the occasion his control failed him although past the keeper the ball ran out of play for a goal kick.

Final Score.  Wrington Redhill 1  Nailsea United 1

For all of their possession particularly in the second half United were unable to take the three points on offer. The Wrington defence although stretched at times were a difficult unit to break down particularly as they were defending up the slope in the hot sun. A special mention for Sam Iles making his first appearance at the heart of the defence, he looked assured and appears to be another youngster with a good future in front of him.

Next up for United is a home game against Clutton on Tuesday April 24th. Kick Off 6.30pm. Next Saturday they travel to league leaders Chilcompton Sports. Kick Off 3.00pm.

In other results the Reserves had an emphatic win by four goals to one over Burnham United Reserves with Tom Weaver grabbing a hat trick. The “B” side brought a difficult season to an end with a defeat to Banwell. I am sure that this very young side will benefit from their first season in senior football.